51 Meadowbrook engine rebuild

Worden18

Okay fellas, after pulling my hair out for the past week and a half trying to figure out what the heck was going on, I got my car running again.

Turns out the original fuel pump I had on there was NOT bad.  But the reason it died and would not pump gas up to the carb was likely what I originally thought:  A piece of sh*t from the old fuel tank got up in the pump and clogged it up.  I thought I saw a huge piece when I dumped out the bowl after I disassembled it.  Problem was that I didn't put that old pump back on and try it after I cleaned it up, etc.  

The NEW pump I ordered online would not pump gas, either.  So I figured the line from the tank to the pump might be plugged.  Put on the new gas tank and flushed out the line....car STILL won't start or pump fuel.  Took that new pump out and hooked the inlet up to an ice cream pail of gas and the outlet line that runs up to the carb was in place.  THE PUMP PUMPED FUEL.  So I thought for sure this new pump was good and the line must be plugged.  

Today my friend trailered the car to his place so he and his dad could help.  These guys are better at this stuff than I am.  I really needed their help.  We left the NEW pump on the car and hooked it up to a gas can.  IT DID NOT PUMP GAS OUT OF THE CAN.  Now I'm baffled.  My friend disassembled the old pump.  He said there is nothing wrong with it.  However, the NEW pump's arm has WAY too much travel to get it to pump.  When you pump it by hand it works.  The short distance the arm really travels when riding the camshaft was not enough for the new pump to actually pump gas.  So...we put the old pump back on.  My friend also blows into the gas tank (yeah with his mouth LOL!) and fuel comes out of the line up by the pump, which is good.  Hook up the old pump, car fires right up!  So I need to send the faulty pump back to the seller on ebay.  

My friends also helped me adjust the clutch, which was pretty easy once I saw how it was done :D

I need to drain the antifreeze again and put on a new thermostat gasket...a thicker one.  Can't get the one the builder put on to stop weeping.  

I'm also going to send in my heater control valve to that guy in California that rebuilds them.  For now I just have it bypassed.  

Hoping to get to Mopars in The Park in Farmington, MN on Saturday for the show!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Bryan said:

About how much is the overhaul expected to cost? Wanting to do mine within a year.

I suppose it depends on the builder, parts used, etc. In my case...$2,500.  Worth every penny. :)