fluidrive and R10 BW to 241 hemi???

superbyrd

hi folks. looking for some info. i have a potential project brewing, i am purchasing an all stock 48 dodge coupe, with flat six and 3-spd fluidrive. i have a 54 dodge red ram hemi i plan on swapping in, and i have a complete fluidrive/borg-warner R10 overfrive unit from a 52-53 plymouth.

now,  will the BW OD/fluidrive unit bolt up to the 241 hemi? or, any combonation of the parts i have work? i am prepared to fabricate ear motor mounts and such, would just like to keep my column shifter. will be doing the 2wd ford explorer spindles on front and explorer 8.8 with disc in the future as well.

thanks for any help and input....

I don't believe an R10 overdrive from a 52-53 Plymouth would have a fluid drive transmission, it would be a standard.

• Like 1

As I have said many times, No such thing as a fluid drive transmission. Two completely different things. Fluid drive is a fluid coupling used in conjunction with a mechanical clutch. Transmission is a mechanical device that is shiftable to change the engine speed to driven wheel speed ratio. A longer transmission input shaft will be required to adapt a Plymouth over drive transmission to a car equipped with a  fluid drive coupling.

• Like 3

You can pull the input shaft out of the transmission that came from the fluid drive dodge and swap it into the 52-53 plymouth od trans providing the od trans isnt a 1955 unit, (syncros are different and then you'll have to swap in the syncros from the fluid drive car's transmission to the plymouth trans) 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, plyroadking said:

You can pull the input shaft out of the transmission that came from the fluid drive dodge and swap it into the 52-53 plymouth od trans providing the od trans isnt a 1955 unit, (syncros are different and then you'll have to swap in the syncros from the fluid drive car's transmission to the plymouth trans) 

Correct, I should have mentioned that.

well good, now that the experts have weighed in, to assert authorative correction of terminology, ,......can someone answer the question i asked in the first place.....?  i ask about fitment,,,,,,thanks.

Edited by superbyrd

Short answer is Yes.  BUT even though you can sit the bell housing on the stock rear mounts, you will likely find that the starter is right up against the  steering box.  I had All  the stuff, 241, 54 bell housing, transmission with the delete fluid drive option (really long input shaft) and R10 Overdrive and was going to put it in a 52 Plymouth  but the starter and steering  obstacle  made me pursue other options.  The  Dodge chassis is a little bigger so who knows until you try.  Good luck.

thanks dpollo. i am preparing for an issue like that as well, i have an 87-90 dodge dakota power rack and pinion, and a power steering pump/brackets i am planning on fitting to the engine/chassis also. lots of cutting, fabbing, and head scratching...no worries...

12 minutes ago, dpollo said:

Short answer is Yes.  BUT even though you can sit the bell housing on the stock rear mounts, you will likely find that the starter is right up against the  steering box.  I had All  the stuff, 241, 54 bell housing, transmission with the delete fluid drive option (really long input shaft) and R10 Overdrive and was going to put it in a 52 Plymouth  but the starter and steering  obstacle  made me pursue other options.  The  Dodge chassis is a little bigger so who knows until you try.  Good luck.

• Like 1

The r-10 can be also swapped trans to trans.

The basic requirements are that the bell fit the block, that you have a flywheel that fits the crank and the bell, that the splines on the input shaft land where the clutch disc splines are located, and, that the trans fit the bell.