40 Door Lock

40phil41

A simple question for the 40/41 Dodge and Plymouth owners. How far does your front pass. side door lock key turn before the key can be removed? I have just changed out the door lock (and also the latch assembly) on my '40 Dodge. I put the key in, turn it 1/2 turn (CW) and the door locks but the key will not release and it will not turn any further. The lock tumbler itself requires a full turn to release the key. The lock on the original latch assembly that I removed also will only turn 1/2 turn. I would normally check my '41 but it is still away in winter storage (and based on the storm that's on it's way this is a good thing!). The part number is different for the 42-47 door lock so it is possible that I have the wrong lock for my '40 or maybe I have assembled something wrong?

Phil

Sometimes all you need to do is turn the lock shaft 90 degrees so the motion can be transferred to the door lock without coming up against any stops in the key-way itself.  I have run into this problem several times when replacing locks.

13 minutes ago, dpollo said:

Sometimes all you need to do is turn the lock shaft 90 degrees so the motion can be transferred to the door lock without coming up against any stops in the key-way itself.  I have run into this problem several times when replacing locks.

I'll have another look but the stop is in the door latch mechanism itself. It won't turn any more than 90 degrees while the lock tumbler needs to go 180 degrees in order to remove the key.

I think you may find the missing 90 degrees in the key part.  I do know I have wrestled with this from time to time.   Good Luck.

• 6 months later...

After taking a 7 month break from wrestling with my door lock I thought I would have another go at it. Guess what, dpollo was absolutely correct. I re-read the shop manual and followed the brief instructions very carefully and within 5 minutes had the lock installed and working properly. The trick is to have the lock shaft turned to the correct orientation together with the door part in the unlocked position before inserting into the door. Thanks again dpollo.

Phil