Replacing D24 upper control arm outer bushings

Uncle-Pekka

Excessive play was found in the upper control arm joint.

I am preparing to replace the upper outer bushings as they seem to had worn loose.

However, I'd like to learn from you, are there any other issues in the front suspension I should check at the same time?
Also the best way to do the replacement to avoid pitfalls,

Obviously I will be messing the camber angle when replacing the bushings - any tricks to do it smart way?

Any tips to adjust the camber without special tools?

The upper control arm is easily removed.  4 bolts on the inner shaft and the pin at the outer.   The upper bushing is held in the knuckle support with a bolt  9/16 head.  It is eccentric for camber adjustment.    It requires no special tools to replace  but the inner bushings were assembled in a jig and were loaded slightly.  It is important to keep the inner shaft centered as that can effect caster although it is not a caster adjustment.  You can change the outer bushing  and pin without removing the entire control arm.

Camber can be adjusted roughly with a level  but movements here can effect toe in so it would be best to find an alignment shop with someone who knows how to do an older car.

• Like 2

Thanks!
I guess I'll be first replacing only the outer bushings.

When having the outer bushing off, I suppose it will be easy to check the inner shaft play when there's no load in it?

Yes, it will, and if it is of any comfort to you, they did not cause much trouble if kept lubricated.  You might want to mark where the old outer bushing is before removing it and put the new one back in exactly the same position.  This will keep your camber adjustment close.  dp

• Like 1