Refurbishing Dash Knobs

My truck came to me with an after-market choke knob and cable. When I went through a small parts box that came with the truck, I found the original choke knob. Looks like water leaked into the box for some time, and the center metal is totally rusted away. I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to disassemble the knob. I've tried tracking down a replacement, but they seem to be rare as hen's teeth. Has anyone ever refurnished a dash knob? 

image.jpg

I highly doubt they can be taken apart and reassembled. The chrome part of the knob is once piece and it looks to be rolled around and over the edge of the center to secure it in place. Removing the center part would not be hard at all but doing it would ruin the chrome part of the knob.

John

The originals were black with white lettering, there are some posts on here if you search where others have painted with black and laid in white paint into the embossed lettering. Their's looked better than original. Mine were all corroded and chalky, I was going to do the same, so I wire brushed and liked the brass look - so I hit them with clear. I may have a spare knob in my bin, I'll look when I'm back at the truck. PM me.

Jay

knobs.jpg

• 1 month later...
On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:05 PM, Buttiman53 said:

My truck came to me with an after-market choke knob and cable. When I went through a small parts box that came with the truck, I found the original choke knob. Looks like water leaked into the box for some time, and the center metal is totally rusted away. I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to disassemble the knob. I've tried tracking down a replacement, but they seem to be rare as hen's teeth. Has anyone ever refurnished a dash knob

image.jpg

Midwest Military has some nice replacements. http://www.midwestmilitary.net/