Engine oil

51Meadowbrook

The best you can find.. Whats a few bucks...Im using Castrol GTX

1 hour ago, The Dr's In said:

That’s already been discussed to death. It included everyone’s opinion re ZDDP. In the interest of brevity, I’d suggest searching earlier discussions for the details.

I tried searching for earlier post it wasn't pulling up anything . 

Do a forum search for "engine oil" using the quotation marks. I just did so and got 341 hits. As mentioned this subject has been cussed and discussed many times. Ask 100 people what they recommend and you will get 100 different answers. Bottom line use what makes you feel good as all oil sold these days is made to the same minimum specifications for all additives.

• Like 1

I see your location is Texas so I would assume it doesn't get too cold.

I would use straight 30w detergent oil with a bottle of STP replacing one of the quarts of oil. Oil and filter change once a year even if you only drive it 500 miles per year. 

• Like 1

Some use "Dollar Tree" elccheapo oils, some use Valvoline, Rotella etc.

Use whichever oil you like, as long as the viscosity is doing well for your engine, climate and driving habits.

If the engine is dirty, pull the oil pan and side covers and clan it out.

Add ZDDP, or use Lucas or another high quality additive if you believe everything you read and hear....LOL

Clean oil, regular oil changes, and correct viscosity, will be light years ahead of the motor oils when your car was born.........

• 2 weeks later...

On my stock unrebuilt 1950 Meadowbrook I got 8 years ago, I used non detergent 30 wt. then I was convinced I could use detergent and so I started using over 2 changes Valvoline 20w50 VR1 which has zinc and is available at regular OReilly's, etc. 

As far as the zinc debate, I'm convinced of it, but others differ. 

On 3/10/2017 at 9:01 PM, iowa51 said:

I see your location is Texas so I would assume it doesn't get too cold.

I would use straight 30w detergent oil with a bottle of STP replacing one of the quarts of oil. Oil and filter change once a year even if you only drive it 500 miles per year. 

Why? What sort of miracle does stp perform that justifies the extra cost?

• Like 1

Frank, & Niel,

I’d like to know the benefit of using STP myself. When I was a teenager (a long, long, long time ago . . .) I was told by a mechanic with an excellent reputation that STP was too thick to use in a good engine, as it may not get into the closer-tolerances. But, in an engine on its last legs, it’d help you get by until you get it overhauled, or replaced. So, based upon that sage of wisdom—I’ve never used it, other than as an assembly lubricant.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrDoctor said:

Frank, & Niel,

I’d like to know the benefit of using STP myself. When I was a teenager (a long, long, long time ago . . .) I was told by a mechanic with an excellent reputation that STP was too thick to use in a good engine, as it may not get into the closer-tolerances. But, in an engine on its last legs, it’d help you get by until you get it overhauled, or replaced. So, based upon that sage of wisdom—I’ve never used it, other than as an assembly lubricant.

I can add that my Father was a mechanic and he always used stp.

Seemed he walked home a lot also  :lol:

I have one memory of him walking home and was carrying some car part that came out of the engine, probably a rod.

I must say that he had some good looking cars, he would do body work and paint and wash and wax, but after turning wrenches all day at the shop, he had no desire to come home and wrench on his own cars.

STP is thick like honey, seems it would be good filler on loose engines, but nothing I would use on a good engine either.

Then there is Lucas oil. I just did a oil change for my cousin, he had a recent stroke and physically challenged at the moment.

He added a quart of Lucas oil and thinks it is good. Again it is thick like 90 weight gear oil, nothing I would add unless the motor was garbage to begin with.

Something I use Lucas for that STP may also be good for. I've gotten into old Jeeps in the last 10yrs. The AMC V8's don't oil well in the timing chain area. There are ways to address this but one thing I did on the last 304 I put a timing chain in was, I had a half full bottle of Lucas. I cut the top off of it and slid that new timing chain down in that bottle so it was totally submerged in Lucas. Let it soak for a couple days while I did other stuff. That way it penetrated the rollers, between the pins and side plates of the chain. At least it got a good pre-lube before it went to work. STP might also be good for this, never thought of using it as assembly lube. STP has to be good stuff, Richard Petty was in several commercials advocating it...and he is the King! lol

20 minutes ago, Niel Hoback said:

I find oil thickened mostly good for mental relief. 

Pretty much sums up my theory that buying what makes you feel good is the way to go. When I was in High School over 50 years ago  I had one of the not so rare 5 cylinder P-15's engines with a fried valve and no oil pressure I would add a can of STP at every gas and oil stop. Raised the oil pressure from zero to 10 pounds or so for a few minutes. Made me feel good at the time. I drove this 5 cylinder P-15 on more than one road trip fifty miles from home and back and in the dead of winter it never failed to start and it was a 6 volt car. However I was young and invincible at the time.

11 minutes ago, Flatie46 said:

At least it got a good pre-lube before it went to work. STP might also be good for this, never thought of using it as assembly lube. STP has to be good stuff, Richard Petty was in several commercials advocating it...and he is the King! lol

I did use STP as an assembly lubricant. Yes Richard Petty is the king but he was paid big bucks ti display the STP logo on his race car.

Cam_goes_in.jpg

When I raced a motor cycle at Bonneville in 1969 STP gave to me a pair of fender covers for displaying an STP decal on my bike. Did not have to use there product, just display the decal. I still have and use the fender covers.

MVC-022F.jpg

• Like 1

For the naysayers criticizing my post regarding STP...

3 pieces of information from the original poster's 1st post in this thread.

1. Asked what kind of oil people were using, nothing more that that.

2. Lives in Texas so cold weather (32 deg. F or less) starting with a little thicker oil is probably not an issue.

3. States his project car is a 1951 Meadowbrook. Nothing was said about a rebuilt engine in his question so that leads me to believe his engine has not been rebuilt and may not be as "tight" as a new engine due to the years and miles.

I answered with what I used and have had good luck with in cars with (maybe) similar situations, high miles, sat for a long time, possible compression issues with stuck or broken piston rings. Before my engine was rebuilt it smoked a little and oil pressure, when hot, would drop way down even if not at idle. STP worked for me. Some people claim pouring water down the carburetor while the engine is running "losens the carbon". I am not going to try it. So I may suggest STP because it worked for me in my situation, you are under no obligation to use it.

I probably should not have joked about it as I did. I hope to have not offended you iowa51.

I honestly can not say anything bad about the product. I even remember when the local auto parts store would have one of those plastic cubed boxes with plastic gears inside and a crank handle like a egg beater.

Was filled with stp on one side and motor oil on the other.

You could turn the gears and see how clingy the stp was, it was used as a sales tool for stp.

And stp has been around for a zillion years, if it was bad for your motor, it would have been run out of town on rails 50 years ago.

I guess the debate would be, do you believe in oil additives as a preventive maintenance tool?

I personally do not use them in that way, I use them after a problem has occurred as a quick fix.

And have had good luck with many additives in that way. stop leak for coolant, trans medic for leaky atf seals, etc .... stp for certain engine conditions.

Otherwise I just use what the manufacturer recommends to use.

It wasn't my intent to offend anyone if I did, I like to joke and have fun. Don't like to be mad and don't want to make anyone mad. I've got a 70 Chevy truck that I'm sure STP would probably help, along with rings and bearings. I can't park it on a hill without the ebrake and it wont pull much more load than it's self. Over the years I've had many vehicles that "liked" oil or were well worn. I've never lost intrest in things that might nurse one along.

I would like to trade Don out of them worn out old fender covers. Let  me know, I've got a one eyed , 3 leg coon dog named lucky to trade on.

STP.....Scientifically Treated Petroleum.......

other than an assembly lube, never had much use for the product...of course I do not put any additive save Rislone in any engine.....as in my teen age days...STP we joke it as meaning   STOP THAT PISTON......

at a fairly popular albeit small amusement park, we plastered one of the house of horror cars with STP sticker my cousin who worked at a gas station gave us....as we walked by all the kids was wanting to ride in the STP car...just a blast to the past is all....

Back during the heyday of commercial slot car tracks, I remember the older kids using STP as a traction enhancer on the foam tires of their ready-to-run cars.  Wasn't pleasing to the track owner - could make a gloppy mess of the track.

21 hours ago, iowa51 said:

For the naysayers criticizing my post regarding STP...

3 pieces of information from the original poster's 1st post in this thread.

1. Asked what kind of oil people were using, nothing more that that.

2. Lives in Texas so cold weather (32 deg. F or less) starting with a little thicker oil is probably not an issue.

3. States his project car is a 1951 Meadowbrook. Nothing was said about a rebuilt engine in his question so that leads me to believe his engine has not been rebuilt and may not be as "tight" as a new engine due to the years and miles.

I answered with what I used and have had good luck with in cars with (maybe) similar situations, high miles, sat for a long time, possible compression issues with stuck or broken piston rings. Before my engine was rebuilt it smoked a little and oil pressure, when hot, would drop way down even if not at idle. STP worked for me. Some people claim pouring water down the carburetor while the engine is running "losens the carbon". I am not going to try it. So I may suggest STP because it worked for me in my situation, you are under no obligation to use it.

Nobody said don't use stp, no one challenged you using stp, all I wanted to know was what is the justification of using stp with every oil change.....seems uneccessary to to me. On the other hand my snake oil of choice is Berryman's....I put it in my tank with every fill up and in every car I own and have since the 70's. Does it really do everything its supposed to....don't know, does it give me piece of mind....you bet.              http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/byp/0116/image/3/