Fuel Sender

ssdave

Need a fuel sender for 1947 Chrysler 8 cylinder. Have searched and called people but still don't get a definitive answer. Are they different for a 6 cylinder?  Bernbaum says length of arm is different, others say they are the same, yet listings at Roberts and Bernbaum only say "6 cylinder".  Can anyone help?

The first question is do you have a parts book for your car. You should have this because this will tell you if there is a different gas tank for the 6 vs the 8. It will also then tell you if the sending unit has a different number for the 6 vs the 8.

You need to do some homework on your part.

Rich Hartung

• Like 1

SSDave, I pulled out my trusty dusty parts catalog for you. The 6 Cylinder Fuel Tank Gauge shows Part #1120 552. The 8 Cylinder Part # 857 379. Keep in mind these are original 1947 Chrysler Part Numbers, that may or may not be available for cross referencing today. I just wanted to confirm to you that yes they are different. How other than their armature being different lengths as has been suggested I do not know. Part Type Code was 14-72-1 Page 252. In addition to that the 6 Cylinder Fuel Tank Part Type Code 14-88-1 Page 256, shows Part Number #1121 520 (17 Gallons). The 8 Cylinder Part Number 1121 515 (20 Gallons). Good Luck with your search. Tom

Once Again Vinatge Power Wagons Parts Catalog Page 21 Shows (Civilian D Vehicles) Fuel Gauge Senders, that appear to have adjustable armatures.

Confirm with them first. Phone 641-472-4665. I have quized them on Parts before they are pretty good at describing the applications/uses of their Parts.

Tom

7 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I thought ssdave was doing his homework coming here for clarification from those that have experience as it seems some of the suppliers are not clearly defining their product...at least he took the time to tell you what he was told by various venders.......

Plymouthy:  I know he was asking for clarification from the members, but my point is that if he had a parts manual for his car, like he should have, just for allpoints of reference. Then he would have found that there were two sender units one for 6 cyl and one for 8 cyl.  This is the point that I was trying to make. Get the basic manuals for your car so you as the owner can say that is what you have found by your research and then the question could have been posted as to ask what other members have done when they could not acquire the 8 cylinder sending unit.  This what doing your research is about not just posting and asking everyone else to do your homework. Certain other members jump right on the other members when they have not done any indepth research.  By doing some indepth research you get other information and you learn more about your car or truck.  We all will help but each owner needs to do the most input of getting data and not just ask the members to supply all the answers.

I know some might not agree with my statement but this is how I learned and continue to learn about my 39 Desoto and also by looking at other catalogs that have cross reference information.

replay if you want to I am thick skinned.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 2

Rich,

I agree with you 100%!!! Not all people have the resources that others have. Not all people have the experience that others have. Not all people have the research skills that others have. However, everyone should have the ability to feel comfortable asking questions of others. If that’s not the case, than what are any of us doing here at this site??? I thought the philosophy here was collegial in nature, and while I’ve seen a few instances to the contrary, have I been completely mistaken in this outlook???

• Like 2

I didn't mean to do anything wrong. I am over 60 and work 9 hours a day. Sometimes I'm bushed and just read the threads thinking " let this guy muddle through on his own", other times I figure like the Dr. above - let me help out. We all have different energy levels, and come on the Thread at different times of the day. I don't know about you guys but I know I have asked some pretty stupid as _ ed questions on here before, and yet someone, has always given me a polite answer. Even The Big Don Coatney. So I just want to thank everyone for sharing especially Rich (desoto1939) on Sisson Chokes - he is the man. We all have our strong Suites and our weak ones.I just think this is about the best place to be sometimes - day or night. Collegial, whats that mean? L.O.L. Always having fun here. Thanks Everyone.

Tom

• Like 1

Thanks for the compliment Tom. I am big mostly because I have a beautiful wife who is an excellent cook. Crab legs and steak last night. Retirement has been good to me. The physical ailments that go along with advanced age have not been so good. But this forum has been a lot of fun for a lot of years.

• Like 1

The original poster stated that he needed a gule sender for his straight 8 Chrylser but could only sse that the major suppliers were offering 6 cylinder fuel senders. He was trying to determine if there were two different unit because there might be a 6 cyl and an 8 cy gas tank and that there might be different units.  My point to my reply is that if you are goingto have an antique car or truck at the minimum you should have a parts book that covers your car or truck. It does not have to be an original can be a reprint. This is what you need to help determine parts for your antique. If the original poster had that basic reference manual catalog he would have answered his basic question.

Then he could have stated that he has determine d that there are two seperate units and then could have asked the question if anyone has or knows or any vendor that migth carry the 8 cylinder fuel sender. Not everyone know all the venders but ask the more experienced owner run across parts houses and vendor they might have been able to tell the owner where to find the particular part.  Yes someone knew that there are two part numbers and a particuar vendor might have the part.

I was not trying to put down the owner but if he had done the basic reserarch in the parts book he would have helped his issue. Always will to help but some good old legwork and parts investigation should be the first thing a person does and not just ask  on eveyone else to do the lookups.

Rich Hartung.

1941-48 Chrysler NOS Mopar "8" fuel senders are about 2" longer than the six Mopar senders and very hard to find... anywhere!

Thanks for the replies. I do have a manual, but like others have said, the part numbers don't always cross reference to todays parts. I even called Atwater-Kent to verify the info I had. Just thought I would ask the experts before making yet another mistake.