Removing Wiper Arms and Mounts from 1950 Plymouth P20 Special Deluxe Club Coup

medium_jon

I had thought my Trico Wiper Motor was seized, but instead I think the real issue is that the wiper arms / mounts are either on the wrong side or mounted upside down as with the wiper motor removed, the arms can only move a little bit before hitting the limiters inside under the dash. 

How do I get them off?

IMG_8902.jpg

IMG_8903.jpg

You pull the arm away from the glass as far as it will go  then with a flat screwdriver tease the cap off of its spline. You cannot see the spline as it is completely hidden by the cap.  When the arm  is against the glass, there is a little tab which prevents the cap from coming off.

you may need to put a little WD 40 around the splined part.    Your car looks to be in good shape judging by the area around the cowl vent so I do not expect you will have too much trouble

• Like 1

Thanks dpollo. That is what I ended up doing, except without the screwdriver. Just sort of manhandled it and pop, they came off. I had only tried the driver's side before posting and it was much more stuck than the passenger that came off really easy. Strangely, the passenger side 'bearings' were frozen. Took a bit of time, effort, and lubrication to get them moving smoothly again. Everything is back together and it sort of works -- I think I need more vacuum. This car has a combination fuel pump / vacuum pump, but in the driveway it wasn't moving the wipers by itself -- a little manual lift on the arms and they would move and come back (on occasion). Hopefully I'll get more vacuum when on the road. Next up to fix is the brake lights. 

Edited by medium_jon

so far so good.   Don't overlook that the vacuum motor  has to have an air inlet.  This is in the cover or in the vicinity of the cover over the reversing mechanism ( toggle)   It often gets plugged with dirt from under the dash.  If you loosen this cover by reaching through the radio opening and the wipers speed up then you know the filter is in need of cleaning.   You can also lube the inside of the  motor by spraying WD40 into the air inlet while the wipers are running.    Needless to say, do this outside where  exhaust fumes will not sneak up on you.