removing body from 41 4door

homer41

I am going to restore a 41 4door and plan on a frame off. I have had the bodies off both of my pickup restores but never a car especially one this size. Looking at tech tips I found the rotisserie  plan and and think it would be a good way to go. Any pitfalls to avoid would be appreciated.  Dave

I lifted mine off (minus the front clip) with a chain hoist at the front, and a come-along at the rear, then set it on 2 2/6s (laying flat) across 4 15 gal drums.  But I was younger then (middle 20s, compared to early 60s now), and crouching underneath it would not be so easy for me anymore.  The rotary deal is lots nicer if you have a lot of work to do from the bottom up, or need to be able to move it around.  (Never had one, but it sure looks easier to me.)  I would just say that I think that lifting it from the top is a lot safer than jacking it up underneath - in order to get it up as high as the mounts on the rotary deal, I mean.  

We did pull the frame out from under a 53 DeSoto in the back yard when my oldest brother was probably only 14 or so (it was his idea, doing it just for anyhow) & I was 11 & a half or so.  And I don't recall that we even had a floor jack, just bumper jacks.  But I shudder to think of what could have happened.

A couple of pics of my buddy's rotisserie. I've borrowed it to put my Jeep tub on to take it to be media blasted. We used it to put the floor in the tub and other metal work. I'm telling ya, it was the best thing since sliced bread. You could effortlessly turn it 360degrees and with its brakes lock it in any position. He just thru this thing together with scraps several years back and has used it a lot. It's very adjustable, you can raise and lower it with the adjustable screws at the end. Length wise he just pretty much tacks enough weld on it to do the job at hand and cuts it loose an rewelds for the next job. It could be improved in this area I guess but like I said it was just cobbled together, never planned on using it as much as he ( or I have. lol). Just thought I would post pics since you mentioned building one.

0227171422.jpg

0227171423.jpg

0227171423b.jpg