front crankshaft bolt size

40plyguy

1 hour ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

If all dudford is trying to do is turn the engine over ..

Just insert a 2" long bolt through one of the transmission adapter plate bolt holes (3/8" or 7/16" ).   Just so it protrudes out to the rear towards the torque converter.

Use this bolt as a fulcrum. Get a very large wide screw driver or equivalent and wedge on the ring gear attempting to turn it.

I've done this many times.

YEP.   lot's more leverage that way.  an inch or so from the bolt to the flywheel then the total lever length. With my 24" pry bar that gets you at least 12 to one, and that's applied to the rim of the flywheel.  So, if I can apply 100 lbs pressure, that's 1200 to the flywheel!

I think that the original thread poster was trying to unseize a locked engine whereas Dud appears to have an engine thats not seized but he can't undo the crank nut..............but I maybe mistaken.................andyd

Sorry for the confusion and yes I hijacked the thread. I have a seized/stuck engine (only 30,000 miles on it and was running when removed but has sat for a few years). My aim is to unseize it and rebuild it for my Coupe.

3 hours ago, dudford said:

Sorry for the confusion and yes I hijacked the thread. I have a seized/stuck engine (only 30,000 miles on it and was running when removed but has sat for a few years). My aim is to unseize it and rebuild it for my Coupe.

If you free it up gently with lube,you may not have to rebuild anything. If it was a good 30k mile engine before getting stuck,it will be a good 30 k mile engine after getting freed up. Use brute force with no lube,and you might break something,bend something,or score cylinders.

• Like 1

If the pistons are stuck so are the rings. Free them up.

1 hour ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

If the pistons are stuck so are the rings. Free them up.

My thoughts also, I think it’s the rings that have corroded to the bores. Good soak in diesel and then wind it over off the flywheel 

I unstuck my engine back in the eighties a mechanic had me pore diesel fuel down the cylinders and try to turn the engine a little at a time maybe a sixteenth of an inch no more .I did this everyday for a month or longer ,and eventually got it free . I removed the rad to get enough room .The engine is still running .

The rings get stuck in the ring lands. The face of the rings if not stainless faced can pit too.

• 2 weeks later...

Goodness triumphed today. I had poured diesel down the bores and let it soak, applied pressure forward and back at the flywheel over last few days and finally there was movement. Looks like it was definitely weather seized, corrosion at the rings. All moving nicely now!

• Like 2