New brakes on the P-15

RedRider

I swapped out the master cylinder and all the wheel cylinders on my 48 Coupe. Bled them in the correct order, no leaks- when I push the brake pedal while moving I have to slam it to get any stopping and then it jerks to the right. Also when I rev too high it chugs and moves like it's my first time on a clutch. It's a barn find and I'm restoring it for the family- my mom was born in 48 and she passed recently. Anyway any help would be great thanks

I took everything apart to clean and reassembled. Can I just adjust the screws in the back that are attached to springs? I don't have the tool that's in the manual and I couldn't find one on eBay

I  agree with desoto1939 about your brake shoes being out of adjustment.

As for bogging off the line,I suspect clutch problems. Maybe oil saturation on the clutch plate,maybe a bad/weak pressure plate. Or it might be something as simple as a clutch adjustment is needed to fix the problem.

I make the same two suggestions to you I make to everyone who is new to old cars/old Mopars. The first money you should spend should be on a factory service manual that covers your car specifically,and a Motors Manual that covers your car. The factory service manual will tell you specifics about your car,and the Motors Manual will teach you how to rebuild and install/time distributors, clutches,pressure plates,fuel pumps,etc,etc,etc. These two books are absolutely essential. If money is an issue,go to ebay and look for used ones.

Ok I appreciate the feedback, I have the original manual and the aftermarket manual that I bought. Money isn't a huge issue but I want to do it myself and I don't want to waste money either. I'm new to this old stuff but not new to engines. The car was a barn find so EVERYTHING is crusty. I got it running but the brakes are proving to be harder than I anticipated 

Welcome to the sometimes-frustrating world of old Chrysler Corporation vehicles. You can, however, take solace in the fact that owners of same-era Ford products share some of the frustrations as you, since their cars share the same brake design – Lockheed Series-1. It’s really not a bad idea to make some connections with folks in that circle, too. Just another source of untapped information. . . Beat of luck in your project. Thx.

• Like 1

So I replaced the springs with thinner springs, adjusted the screws in the back so the wheel spun freely but on the front right side it's catching still when I put the  brakes on. Odd thing is in reverse it doesn't catch. 

You didn't say if you replaced the shoes. If this car sat in a barn long enough for all of

the brake fluid to leak out rest assured it is contained in the brake shoes. I've been on

the futile quest to clean old shoes more times than a smart person would ever try. Do

yourself a favor & replace the shoes & grease seals. Any residual fluids in the shoes

will cause the brakes to pull horribly, This can even happen when you pass an unseen

police car while showing off then hit the brakes too hard. Yes, I do know this very well.

I brought the drum and the shoes from the right side that was catching to a brake shop. Yes the shoes were saturated with who knows what and the drum was cracked and warped from somebody whacking on it with a hammer which you can see on the outside of the drum. So I need a new drum. Having shoes re-surfaced. Hopefully all this will fix the problem. Thanks for the help

Edited by RedRider