1950 Plymouth heaters

Alshere59

So I am starting to work on my old Plymouth again.Looking over the manuals I see a number of heaters were an option. So since I have none, I was wondering do they work well? Looking at defrost and heat.

Looking at keeping it 6 volts so.... Reading the old posts I see recommendations for an Arvin etc.. but if original work why not as I see a model 70 etc available.So what are the thoughts of the forum? Just looking at heat and especially defrosters. good? bad?. Looking at temps probably high teens F.

Any models that stand out.?

Heaters are slaves to the water temp they get. One is as good as another of comparable size. It's the blower and the duct work that will get the heat to you. If the blower motor works good,the "squirrel cage" spins freely,and you have a 180 degree thermostat in your engine,you are going to get heat and defrost.

I can tell you that there are a model 100, 300, and 550 in the 1949 Plymouth parts book and I have a 550 in my 50 Plymouth 4 dr. and it will cook you on high and when motor is totally warmed up that low is almost too much, but I live in central Ca. but only gets to a freezing temp. a few days a year. The defroster alone is almost too much!

Trying to find a good condition one complete may be almost impossible though as the heater distribution part in made of something not more than molded cardboard! The other pieces are out there.

DJ

13 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

I can tell you that there are a model 100, 300, and 550 in the 1949 Plymouth parts book and I have a 550 in my 50 Plymouth 4 dr. and it will cook you on high and when motor is totally warmed up that low is almost too much, but I live in central Ca. but only gets to a freezing temp. a few days a year. The defroster alone is almost too much!

Trying to find a good condition one complete may be almost impossible though as the heater distribution part in made of something not more than molded cardboard! The other pieces are out there.

DJ

I have seen that parts were cardboard. Is this the only part? I had looked at that already and was wondering if a template was available  I have a friend that should be able to do in sheet metal. A bit of insulation added I think. Interesting thank you for posting.

duct.jpg

That makes me curious as to what year the heaters were the same, will interchange. The duct work looks the same as the 1951 suburban am parting out.

The thing is a monster with the heater motor at the core support, then the squirrel cage, ductwork and then transition through the firewall. And it also has a second heater under the driver side seat.

Think they were concerned about cold.

Knuckle I agree all things like engine temp etc is the same you get heat. Just looking at ducts etc for the different models to see how well they work is all.

All 3 model heaters mentioned used that same(fiber type of connection, Which is avail.)  part # part originally. While that is only a workable part, (I have bought one just like it), it does not really match the parts book pics as it is much more rounded. Works for me. I did not look for a perfect restoration.

I was referring to only the model 550 heater which came in my car that has an underdash heat distribution fiber type of tube that ran from the pass. side to the driver side as being impossible to find, never seen one for sale. Ya never know however!

The other models most likely will also work fine just not as overly done as mine as it does too much for here. Unless you drive your old Mopar in the dead of winter in regularly Freezing temps. I believe they will all work fine!

DJ

Not sure of model number, I have only taken a few parts off of the car at this time, this week will be back over there and can take some photos and model numbers.

The heater under the seat is just a caged fan pointing straight up, and I have not looked under the car yet, still need to get it up in the air on blocks for disassembly.

Give me a few days and will get back with more information, maybe some of it can help you and we may find what years interchanged.

one part in particular that may be year and model specific, the chrome heater controls mounted under the dash.

Kinda a poor photo of the controls, but wonder if these are generic or model specific, if you did not have a heater at all you would also need the controls.

IMG_20161123_143649612_HDR.jpg

I have a 50 Plymouth Special Deluxe with a heater. The heater core was moved to the engine compartment about 49 to prevent a dangerous core failure next to the front passenger's feet. The Special Deluxe had a second blower motor under the dash to drive the defroster vents. The old heater worked well for me when the temps were below 32 degrees in Western Maryland. I did not have to run it on "high" to be warm. The repo duct should work fine, the originals were some kind of pressed and stapled fiber material. After all, it is just an air duct, so any fiber or metal duct should work if you do not need an original look.  Make sure to keep the duct sealed well at the firewall or you may get carb smells.

3 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

All 3 model heaters mentioned used that same(fiber type of connection, Which is avail.)  part # part originally. While that is only a workable part, (I have bought one just like it), it does not really match the parts book pics as it is much more rounded. Works for me. I did not look for a perfect restoration.

I was referring to only the model 550 heater which came in my car that has an underdash heat distribution fiber type of tube that ran from the pass. side to the driver side as being impossible to find, never seen one for sale. Ya never know however!

The other models most likely will also work fine just not as overly done as mine as it does too much for here. Unless you drive your old Mopar in the dead of winter in regularly Freezing temps. I believe they will all work fine!

DJ

Amazing what's out there!!!

Here are two different styles of these inside heating ducts NOS... PM me if you like

Rob

023.JPG

MoPar Heating Ducts.JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

I decided to go a simpler route for heat/defrost. My car (52 plym) never had a heater installed. I decided to use a mopar model 53 heater. These show up on ebay fairly often. I considered using a modern retrofit unit, but liked the idea of an oem style unit instead. Plus I like to torture myself by tearing something apart and rebuilding it...LOL

Kind of a funny story - In my case no one bid on the heater I bought. I paid a dollar for it plus shipping. I suspect the seller was not happy about that - it arrived packed in a big - (nearly wrecked - went through a war) kotex box, (sellers message received). Remarkably there was no damage to the unit !

Anyway - These were used on earlier cars probably 1948 and older, vs my 52. Looks like an overgrown canned ham with a heater core, & blower motor inside, and a lever to divert the air flow from the floor to the defrost vents - (KISS). The outlet on the defrost matched perfectly to the defrost vent opening under  the dash, same size flex tubing. 

I used the control pictured above and am using one of the fan speed controls, the other is inactive. The two cable controls operate the defrost/heat lever, the temp cable operates an underhood coolant valve from a mid 80's dodge truck. I also shortened the depth of the glove box by about an inch. There was insufficient room for the heater body to fit up under the dash without that modification. 

Seems to work. Less stuff under the hood. Down fall to this system is lack of fresh air intake for the heater. I dont plan on driving in the dead of winter in Chicago...LOL. Be sure to use at least a 180 thermostat..

Edited by Dartgame

Dodgebe4ya-

Do not know where you find some of the stuff ya got but is is very rare!

Made my own copy? that closely matches the second photo, especially the rear part.

Here is my fiberglass copy made off the pieces I had left.

DJ

heater duct remake.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dartgame said:

Seems to work. Less stuff under the hood. Down fall to this system is lack of fresh air intake for the heater. I dont plan on driving in the dead of winter in Chicago...LOL. Be sure to use at least a 180 thermostat..

Wassa madda,no sporting blood? Hook a snow plow to the front bumper,and you would be fine.