GL2 Gear Oil Replacement?

1949 Wraith

I have searched and not been able to find a supplier for this grade of oil.

The service manual for my 1938 Dodge calls for 90W winter and 160W summer gear oil for the transmission. I imagine, at that time, that would have been a GL1 rated which was replaced by GL2, which seems to be scarce. 

What is the modern day equivilent in avoiding the sulfers, etc. of the present GL5 grade? Are synthetics safe for these old transmissions and will there be seal issues with those oils?

Thanks

4 hours ago, austinsailor said:

Gl1, available at MAPA and others, is correct for the transmission. It is not for the differential, you need something rated for the hypoid gears. I think the sometimes call it high pressure lubricant, but the gl1 isn't it for the rear end.

I was able to find the GL4 at Napa as suggested by Oldmopar, thank you. Austinsailor,  I was unable to search out any GL1 at Napa or any other providers under GL1, high press lubricant or oil. Do you have a link?

Regards

I have a couple gallons at home I bought recently (within the last year).

I'm not home now, but I'll try to call them tomorrow if I can remember and get a stock #.

i paid around $12 - $13 a gallon, I recall a previous discussion on this board where a NAPA somewhere wanted something like $40 a gallon.

Rear axle  oil should be no problem, any modern hypoid rated oil should be fine. If anyone knows of a reason to be concerned about using modern oil ( GL5?) in the rear axle please sound off!

I have only been able to find a Napa # for 5 gal. pail # 65-205.

Just 2 years ago they had gallons available but for some reason I cannot find what I still have of a gallon I purchased to get a # for it. Hope that at least get you enough of a clue that a local Napa store can find the #  on their computers and also find if they still sell 1 gal. containers of same!

Good luck!

DJ

40 minutes ago, austinsailor said:

I have a couple gallons at home I bought recently (within the last year).

I'm not home now, but I'll try to call them tomorrow if I can remember and get a stock #.

i paid around $12 - $13 a gallon, I recall a previous discussion on this board where a NAPA somewhere wanted something like $40 a gallon.

Rear axle  oil should be no problem, any modern hypoid rated oil should be fine. If anyone knows of a reason to be concerned about using modern oil ( GL5?) in the rear axle please sound off!

I would appreciate that, thanks. The rear end on this car has been modified to 70's Mopar not problem finding oil for that.

4 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

I have only been able to find a Napa # for 5 gal. pail # 65-205.

Just 2 years ago they had gallons available but for some reason I cannot find what I still have of a gallon I purchased to get a # for it. Hope that at least get you enough of a clue that a local Napa store can find the #  on their computers and also find if they still sell 1 gal. containers of same!

Good luck!

DJ

Found it on the Napa site. Thank you.  5 gallons of GL1 90W for under $44, a lifetime supply.

Now the manual says 90W for winter and 160W for summer would it still be better to go to the GL4 140W?

DJ to 1949 goat- To Add to my post 5 minutes ago--

Napa # for 1 gal. of gl1 is 65-201!

Surprise! I got to thinking if 5 gal. is 65-205- I  searched Napa for 65-201 and see what comes up?. 1 gal. of gl-1 oil!

Hope it is available to you locally. ;)

DJ

• Like 1

Unfortunately NAPA is unable to supply GL1 gear oil in Canada. I live close to the Montana border - several years ago I phoned down to a NAPA outlet in Cut Bank , ordered a full case and they had it waiting for me the next morning. 65-201.jpg

10 minutes ago, T120 said:

Unfortunately NAPA is unable to supply GL1 gear oil in Canada. I live close to the Montana border - several years ago I phoned down to a NAPA outlet in Cut Bank , ordered a full case and they had it waiting for me the next morning. 65-201.jpg

Looks like the Napa across the border in Port Huron , MI has both the GL1 90W in gallons and GL4 140W in quarts in stock. I will pick some up later next week when some of my other ordered parts are delivered.

Thank you for all your replies.