Which brake system system is the best Dodge or Fargo?

Geekay

Following my other thread about whether or not I should just hook up the Dodge brake lines after 5 years of being disconnected and see how they go, this morning I more closely compared the two "systems".

The Fargo 1953 brakes I had rebuilt last year are quite different to the brakes on the recently acquired Dodge 56 Suburban (army ambulance). Both 11 inches.

On the front though, the Fargo the inside drum is smaller. I think 10 inches, and the Dodge has the two pistons. Maybe they realised front brakes are more important than rear brakes

The Fargo has two pistons on the rear  brakes, however the Dodge hasone.

Q: Why does the hub stay on with the Dodge, and come off with the Fargo? Was it to do with the annoying habit the Fargo style have with being VERY difficult to remove the drums?

Q: Is "swapping" the Fargo brakes onto the dodge an option? Asking this because right now I do not have the cash to pay for another complete rebuild of brakes for the Dodge.

Dodge rear brake small.jpg

Fargo rear brake small.jpg

Dodge front brakes small image.jpg

You've got 3 years in technology difference and model difference, and very likely built in different plants, who sourced from different suppliers.  if it were me, the first thing I would do is see which was easier to get replacement parts for, but if no difference, I would use whichever system I was more comfortable working on and honestly the two cyl brakes should provide better stopping power.

not a comment on your trucks, I believe the single piston's can dissipate heat better than the smaller dual pistons. Which is why you find the single pistons on the one ton fronts, as they were used for the greater hauling weights and subsequent heat, which resulted in brake fade. The dual pistons were used on the 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons and as 4mula-dlx says should provide better stopping.