langdon's headers w/ stock fuel pump

kendall

4 hours ago, hkestes41 said:

I had Langdon's headers and a stock fuel pump with zero clearance issues. 

Are the Langdon's headers still being manufactured?

37 minutes ago, Reg Evans said:

Thanks,Reg. I see they also have them for the 25 inch blocks.

6 hours ago, Reg Evans said:

Yes they do.  I have a set for my 33 Plym and another set for my 39 Chrysler just waiting for me to get a round tuit.

Thanks,Reg.

16 hours ago, Reg Evans said:

Yes they do.  I have a set for my 33 Plym and another set for my 39 Chrysler just waiting for me to get a round tuit.

I actually put my hands on those!  They looked Awesome!  I am definitely going to buy a set also.  Thank you Reg for allowing us to come out to visit.  BTW, the Empire Mine was amazing!  Thank you for the tip. ;)

• Like 1

On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 6:08 PM, kendall said:

I was having  Langdon's cast iron headers installed today only to get a call from the mechanic informing me that the front header interferes with my stock fuel pump. Any info. out there? Thanks

The key there is which Langdons cast iron headers. He makes or sells fenton reproductions and they seem to work although as you will see in the post before this one they are close and the heat off the front to the fuel can me an issue. The other set he sells is for a big block.  If you are talking those ones they are in my opinion a major disappointment.

They are chevy headers dumped to the center and changed slightly to fit the Chrysler block.  I couldn't use a stock fuel pump.

I have attached a couple of pictures I got from the AoK boys long ago. The one with the Edmunds air cleaners I believe is Tim Kingsburys car.

IMG-20141217-00954.jpg

IMG-20150901-02394.jpg

This is on my '47' p.u. truck. If I spin the separator/filter out of the way, the exit line crashes into the header. To get a new mech. pump that clears costs more than a new electric pump. I'll take the savings and put it toward a new tank and have a totally new system. I salute my existing system for 70 years of service though!

fullsizeoutput_14cd.jpeg

• 1 month later...

There were Many "stock" pumps built in many styles and configurations "that fit all small Mopar flat 6's" over the years so unless  your going for a Restored car, one may fit and many will not. Later pumps may not even have the glass bowls. After market? Do not know.

Just a thought as to what fits.

DJ

On 4/10/2017 at 8:53 PM, oldasdirt said:

The key there is which Langdons cast iron headers. He makes or sells fenton reproductions and they seem to work although as you will see in the post before this one they are close and the heat off the front to the fuel can me an issue. The other set he sells is for a big block.  If you are talking those ones they are in my opinion a major disappointment.

I ran my stock fuel pump and Langdon's Fenton repop headers with no heat shield for five or six years in the Dallas heat often over 100 degrees with zero issues. Drove back from the HAMB Drags in Joplin, MO with a temp of 113 degrees as I went through Sherman, TX with no problems.  

20 hours ago, Reg Evans said:

Why are the big block headers a disappointment ?  I have a set I'm going to install on my '39 Chrysler.

Yeah, I'd like to know as well, because I also intend to buy some for my 25" engine.

Another question is how do you guys with headers, Langdon's or otherwise, get access to the tappets to adjust them?  Langdon told me to adjust them cold and not worry about it.  He says that's what he did when he rebuilt one of his relative's flatheads five years ago, and hasn't had any issues, and never hot-adjusted them.  I'm just hesitant to do it that way, though. 

I had the headers on my short block 230. The comment about the big block headers was quoted from oldasdirt. 

As for adjusting the the tappets, I had them well adjusted prior to putting the headers on the engine

On 4/12/2017 at 7:48 AM, Don Coatney said:

Pictured is my George Asche manifold dual conversion with a stock fuel pump on a 255 CI Desoto long block engine. The glass filter on my fuel pump sits directly below the pump as seen in the second picture.

1-4-2-1074043207.jpg

fuel_line_1.jpg

fuelpump.jpg

Newbe here.

This exhaust manifold looks like it might work well with my dual carb offy since the heat provision in the offy might match up with the heat riser of this particular exhaust manifold.

Are these manifolds available at this time to fit a 59 230 Plymouth six (23 inch) residing in my 33-35 Plymouth/Dodge?

Thanks

Don

Edited by DonPal

2 hours ago, DonPal said:

Newbe here.

This exhaust manifold looks like it might work well with my dual carb offy since the heat provision in the offy might match up with the heat riser of this particular exhaust manifold.

Are these manifolds available at this time to fit a 59 230 Plymouth six (23 inch) residing in my 33-35 Plymouth/Dodge?

Thanks

Don

As I said the pictured manifold was modified by George Asche and it is for a 25" Desoto engine. I have learned that due to health issues that George may no longer be doing this work. There is another forum member that should be able to modify a manifold for you. Do a forum search for olddaddy at rusty hope

Don Coatney ......thanks for the prompt and helpful lead.

I went to the site http://rustyhope.com/site/intakeexhausts/ and it showed a great solution:

FlatheadSixDualExhaustAdapter_zpsurbt7lk

So I ordered the completely welded up adapter that bolts to the bottom of the heat riser after using a hole saw on the bottom of the manifold.

The application will be for  a 1959 Plymouth 230 flat head.

I poised a question to the RustyHope site......is it best to weld a plate on the inside of the manifold (between the two outlets) or not?

Again.....Thanks for your helpful lead.....I'm liking this forum already!!!!

Don

• 10 months later...

Are you going to weld/braze in a plate, inside the manifold, between #3 & #4 placing the plate closest to #4 to avoid the heat riser plate when it's open?

I'm hoping to see the step by step installation of this adapter.

Thanks

DonPal

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi Folks, Just bought a set of headers from Langdons. He suggested to me that I should look for a 57/58 Plymouth six fuel pump as the connections are in the front. Anyone use this application? Ken F.

10 hours ago, plym69 said:

Hi Folks, Just bought a set of headers from Langdons. He suggested to me that I should look for a 57/58 Plymouth six fuel pump as the connections are in the front. Anyone use this application? Ken F.

If it were me,I would take his word for it. If anyone knows,it would be the guy that designed and built them.

I believe the Langdon's are recasts using what were the molds designed by Fenton.  What seems missing on the above pictured modification is a block off to keep exhaust gasses from entering the intake heat chamber.  When I did mine, I used a piece trying stainless along with the original style gasket. I suppose you could use coper or brass sheet stock.

Edited by greg g

1 hour ago, greg g said:

I believe the Langdon's are recasts using what were the molds designed by Fenton.  What seems missing on the above pictured modification is a block off to keep exhaust gasses from entering the intake heat chamber.  When I did mine, I used a piece trying stainless along with the original style gasket. I suppose you could use coper or brass sheet stock.

I am fairly certain you are right about that. I contacted them a couple of years ago to try to buy a set of the cast iron headers for my flathead 6 51 Ford,and they told me they no longer make them.

Still looking if anybody knows where I can buy a pair. Yeah,I know I can use two exhaust manifolds to make a set of cast iron headers,and I even have the truck and the car exchaust manifolds,but I really hate cutting up and destroying original parts if I can buy something custom made.