1955 ply savoy 6 cyl OD 23 to 25 in engine swap?

robt

I just purchased a nice 55 Savoy 2 door club sedan (color Pompano Peach).  The story with the car is that it came from a museum in Oregon 20 years ago and has been in heated storage since.  I can't confirm it but is an interesting story none the less.  The interior is very nice.....not original but very nice.  The frame and whole underneath of the car is clean rust free and appears to be painted black.  There is some rust in front of the rear wheels 2 spots about  3 inches square.  I will have to deal with that.   The trunk seal and door seals need to be replaced.   It has the 230 with factory OD.  My intentions are to keep this car  a nice clean driver.  I have purchased six of the 25" engines in the last couple  years and have one nearly completed for a 1947 1-1/2 ton truck.  It's a 265 ( Bored .060, new pistons and rings, crank .010 under, recondition and balanced rods, all new bearings, .380 lift cam, and George Ashe rebuilt dual carbs, spitfire head).  I can't help but think how cool that engine would be in the savoy.  I have read where this swap has been made on the earlier cars by just moving the radiator forward and modifying the oil pan.  I don't believe I can do this on my car without some cutting. I might be able to move the bottom of the radiator forward by trimming the sheet metal behind the bumper allowing the radiator to stand straighter giving me the clearance at the bottom that I need.  I think there is enough clearance at the top to start with.  The top can't be moved without affecting the hood latch location.  Even though I have lots parts taken from good and junk engines I will have to probably find an oil pan from a  car as mine are all from trucks.  The same maybe true of my exhaust manifold.  The (B&B) carbs that I have for this engine are the older hand choke type....not a deal killer but I would need to relocate the kick-down switch for the overdrive.  

I would love to hear from someone who has made this swap on a 55 or 56.    At this point it is just and Idea for me.  It maybe more trouble than it is worth...but it would certainly be cool and I have the engine .  I'm planning on just driving her for this summer while fixing some of the little things.    Thanks for any input.

Rob from PA

55 savoy

47 wfx-32

My first thought is "please make sure you put the old 230 engine up for sale here so somebody needing a engine can get it.

Well all Canadian built Plymouth and Dodge for 1955/56, would have had the 25 inch 250 engines, so your US built car will be able to accommodate the longer engines with some modification.

I suggest you ask via PM Tim Kingsbury of AoK racing associated with George Asche.

Now this 265 with the build, and the .380 cam, should move that Plymouth along very nicely, and I can see why you would want to do this swap.

Good luck, and keep us posted, I will be watching your build with great interest...

Canadian 55 Plymouths used the 25 inch engine   (a 228 ) so there would be no problems  fitting it into your car  The radiator is a little different but the rad support is the same.  What your biggest challenge will be is finding the center sump pan and pickup from a Canadian 55/6 Plymouth.They are out there, I do not have one myself, it went south to a fellow who was doing exactly what you have planned.  He did not try to return it so I assume he was successful.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input.  I will definitely post some pics as I go forward.  I have been in big truck mode up until this point with the flatheads and definitely have a few obstacles to get around with the big block into the car.  Just took a few quick measurements and I don't think my Vintage GMC air cleaners are going to fit on top of the B&Bs in that car.  The Edmunds intake rises about 3 inches above the ports and those tall B&B's don't leave much room.  The stock carb I'm not real familiar with but it's at least 2-1/2 inches shorter.  I have to pull it apart to clean it and find out why the float is not functioning properly this weekend (its either stuck or sunk).  But carb issues should be manageable.

I will put a thread in the WTB classifieds for an oil pick up and oil pan with the center sump out of a 55 or 56 Canadian Plymouth.  That makes sense to me now.(thanks again)  I have to wonder if the pick up out of a 230 center sump is the same. Is that the only years that used the center sump???  Did the US made Desoto's or Chrysler's ever use the center sump?  I knew they were different than the US made large tuck oil pans but don't the know the specifics, just assumed they were at the opposite end.  I know I could fabricate one starting with a truck pan but would rather not have to do that if possible.

As far as selling the original 230,  I probably will keep it for a future a project.  My father has 2 Wayfarer roadsters (project cars) that we just might get to.

Thanks Rob

Only Dodge and Plymouth and trucks used the six from 55 onwards.  The cars used a center sump pan from 55 to 59 but I cannot be sure the 57 to 59 pan is the same as 55-6.  The oil pick up may be the same as in the 23 inch engine It is not the float type and there is not much discretion as to where it sits.   

On a similar topic, anyone changing a 53-4 engine will find that the Canadian models use a rear sump pan which is slightly shorter in the sump area in order to clear the steering .  This can be useful to know if swapping a 25 inch engine into a 49-52 which originally had a 23 incher. On these cars originally built with the 25 inch , the  steering box is located further forward.    And some people think these cars are all the same !  

• Like 1