Mustang gas tank question

tattooman43

I think behind the seat would be a lousy place for it. And if I were to put one there, I would choose a tank that would be a better fit then a mustang tank.

Mounting it in the frame, I would want as much protection as can get, the higher the better. Or at least where the bottom of the frame was lower then the bottom of the tank.

In my case, I am going with a flatbed and will have wood timbers running down the frame rails for the bed to sit on and clear the tires. I have all kinds of room to get the tank up higher.

I dont know what kind of room you have to work with, But I would try to get it above the lower frame for protection.

I would not mount the tank to the frame rails.  All you need to do is build yourself a framework between the frame rails that the the tank likes.  On a Mustang the tank flanges simply sit on the trunk pan that has a tank sized hole in it.

You might incorporate the tank support into one of the cross braces or modify one of the cross braces to fit your needs.  

I wouldn't worry about where the bottom of the tank is unless you are going to slam the truck to the ground.  

As I stated in your previous thread, you will have to be creative with the filler pipe.  The higher the tank is then the higher the filler pipe will need to be.  Always consider fuel sender accessibility with a pickup.  You will either need to drop the tank to replace the sender or have an access hole in the bed floor.  I used a '55 Chevy tank in an old pickup once but those senders come with their own separate set of problems.  The sender location was not top or bottom but in the front end of the tank and the filler pipe was behind the license plate above the bumper.  The license plate was mounted on a spring loaded bracket from a 50's Ford as I recall.

38 minutes ago, lonejacklarry said:

I would not mount the tank to the frame rails.  All you need to do is build yourself a framework between the frame rails that the the tank likes.  On a Mustang the tank flanges simply sit on the trunk pan that has a tank sized hole in it.

You might incorporate the tank support into one of the cross braces or modify one of the cross braces to fit your needs.  

I wouldn't worry about where the bottom of the tank is unless you are going to slam the truck to the ground.  

As I stated in your previous thread, you will have to be creative with the filler pipe.  The higher the tank is then the higher the filler pipe will need to be.  Always consider fuel sender accessibility with a pickup.  You will either need to drop the tank to replace the sender or have an access hole in the bed floor.  I used a '55 Chevy tank in an old pickup once but those senders come with their own separate set of problems.  The sender location was not top or bottom but in the front end of the tank and the filler pipe was behind the license plate above the bumper.  The license plate was mounted on a spring loaded bracket from a 50's Ford as I recall.

This sending unit is under the tank where I could get to it from under the truck....I am lowering the truck about 4 inches so nothing major...also making a frame to hold tank 

1 hour ago, 59bisquik said:

Just guessing here... but could you put it all the way in the back where the spare tire would go and make the license plate flip down to fill the tank? My 54 Ford has that style and it might be really similar to the Mustang tank.

How the 65 mustang tanks are the filler tube will have to come up at the rear of the bed close to tailgate 

• 1 year later...

this gas tank is easily modified to place the tube just where you need it.....did this many years ago as this mimics the tank for the 51 Suburban even allowing factory mounting straps onto the Mustang tank...inlet pipe is identical in location and fit (angle) as the original tank..I did roll the edge a tad for exact fit..

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

I wouldn't remove the rearmost cross member.  It's behind the rear shackles for support, and it does offer some protection to the tank.  

• Thanks 1

On 8/8/2018 at 10:16 PM, Jj1981 said:

Is there any issue with removing the rear frame crossmember to fit the tank I am going to go this route on my b2b. 

10 hours ago, Jj1981 said:

I was going to add support forward and rear of the tank once installed

As Mike said, the rear cross members add structural support for the spring mounts. If you move them you risk added stress points in your frame rails due to the loads on the spring attachment points. This isn't the best picture, but it's the best one I have that shows both cross members and their location at the spring mounts.

PB040369.JPG.6ab46b112608d15c6bffd16cb6c6a301.JPG