New Guy

51custom

Hello everyone,

Last August I bought a 1951 DeSoto Custom on a whim.  I knew absolutely nothing about this car and when I saw it's condition sitting on the side of the road I knew I wanted it.  It's basically a solid car with a few issues here and there.  I'm rebuilding it slowly and at the same time am rebuilding myself.  I won't get into complete details but I was in the Army for 5 years with one tour to Iraq.  In essence the car is a lot like myself, damaged.  So I'm rebuilding this car to hopefully rebuild myself psychologically.  Currently, I am studying insurance and risk management at Temple University graduating this May.  I hope to make the best of this site as I was recommended to come here for all things DeSoto.  

If you haven't already, I previously posted a thread about my steering wheel,  please have look if you can help me out.

Thanks again.

-Justin

IMG_0189.PNG

IMG_0191.PNG

IMG_0192.PNG

Edited by 51custom
  • Like 1

Also you are in Pa, the infamous George Asche, of AoK racing lives in Fertigs pa, a real old time guru with Chrysler flathead 6s and custom hi-perf products.

If you are not far from Fertigs it would be very worth while meeting George at his shop...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rockwood said:

51 here is what your car is capable of, in good working form.

http://www.allpar.com/cars/desoto/suburban-1951.html

Glad you made here, I suggested it....all the best

Thank you for bringing me here.  Also, I have read that article in the past.  It's extremely interesting that this car is that reliable when taken care of appropriately. My car, may be sol in that department.  When I take the car apart I'll be better able to determine its longevity. I'm going to read the article again this evening to see what I missed before.

thanks for your service. If you have any mechanical ability our cars are easy to get & keep running. a service manual is a very good tool to have. thay are available on many sites, original or repros. Good luck.

• Like 1

Again, thanks for your service. Rebuilding "Old iron" and bringing it back to life can be very rewarding. Just take it slow and enjoy the experience. The project is very forgiving and will patiently wait for you to move along at your own pace.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, janan5243 said:

thanks for your service. If you have any mechanical ability our cars are easy to get & keep running. a service manual is a very good tool to have. thay are available on many sites, original or repros. Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have a few service manuals including one from 1952 which has been a god send.

2 minutes ago, Ranger said:

Again, thanks for your service. Rebuilding "Old iron" and bringing it back to life can be very rewarding. Just take it slow and enjoy the experience. The project is very forgiving and will patiently wait for you to move along at your own pace.

Thank you for the advice.  I'm hoping to start disassembly of the front end this month.

Hello 51 Custom, thank you for your service.  I am a Desert Storm veteran. 

Everyone here will be happy to help you on your journey, just feel free to ask questions as you go as needed.

I look forward to seeing you move along with your car.  Please keep posting.

• Like 1

Working on old cars is great therapy.  Gives you quiet time while knowing there's a support group if you get in a jam.

Best wishes.  Thanks for your service.  And know that we are here to help.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, classiccarjack said:

Hello 51 Custom, thank you for your service.  I am a Desert Storm veteran. 

Everyone here will be happy to help you on your journey, just feel free to ask questions as you go as needed.

I look forward to seeing you move along with your car.  Please keep posting.

Thank you for your service.  Thanks for the words of encouragement.

45 minutes ago, mrwrstory said:

Working on old cars is great therapy.  Gives you quiet time while knowing there's a support group if you get in a jam.

Best wishes.  Thanks for your service.  And know that we are here to help.

Thanks for the well wishes.  I look forward to moving forward with this car very soon.