DeSoto and Dodge steering wheel Compatibility

51custom

I have a 1951 DeSoto with a rotten steering wheel which is disintegrating onto the floorboards. It is beyond repair and I have heard that finding one for his car from another DeSoto is basically impossible. However I have found a steering wheel from a 1949 Dodge which I think will work. I have checked my interchange book to see if the splines are the same and I couldn't find anything. Does anyone have any experience with this issue. Did Dodge/Plymouth/DeSoto/Chrysler use the same racks back then? 

I asked this this question on the H.A.M.B. and I was sent here by another member who stated that I look for Dodgeb4ya here.  So what says the hive?

Are you located in Cooperburg PA?  I live near valley Forge PA.  You could have the wheel recast but that is going to be very  costly.  I would think the spline on the end would be the same but I am not 100% positive.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

Yeah I'm in coopersburg.  I used to work in the King of Prussia area so I'm familiar with valley forge. I've heard that I could have it recast.  Having it recast is a last resort I think.  The dodge wheel would be a temporary replacement until I could afford a recast or find one that is nos (highly unlikely).  Chrysler nationals are coming up so I'm hopeful that I can find something there.  I was thinking just as you are that the splines are the same.  However, the parts interchangeability for the four makes is pretty much up in the air for certain things.

1949-52 Dodge DeSoto Splines are the same.

• Like 2

51Custom do you know Gil Evangilista he lives up the street from the Hotrod customization shop and also Matt Stack with a Blue 38 Desoto coupe.  Gillhas a 55 desoto and might have some parts for your car.

Call me at my home phone 610-630-9188 and I will provide you with both their phone numbers.

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, desoto1939 said:

51Custom do you know Gil Evangilista he lives up the street from the Hotrod customization shop and also Matt Stack with a Blue 38 Desoto coupe.  Gillhas a 55 desoto and might have some parts for your car.

Call me at my home phone 610-630-9188 and I will provide you with both their phone numbers.

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com 

Rich, 

I don't know either one but I'm always willing to meet new people.  Can I call you on Sunday? I am working Saturday or else I would call then.

-Justin

Hi Justin,

Sorry, I don't know about the Dodge wheel, but I know a Chrysler wheel will fit.

I picked up a '50 or '51 Chrysler wheel at Carlisle for $50. a couple of years ago. I had to use the Chrysler horn ring

because of the angle of the wheel spokes. Anyway, if the Dodge wheel doesn't work out, maybe you could find a Chrysler wheel.

Dean

126 - Copy.JPG

IMG_20161113_150519482_HDR - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, De55 said:

Hi Justin,

Sorry, I don't know about the Dodge wheel, but I know a Chrysler wheel will fit.

I picked up a '50 or '51 Chrysler wheel at Carlisle for $50. a couple of years ago. I had to use the Chrysler horn ring

because of the angle of the wheel spokes. Anyway, if the Dodge wheel doesn't work out, maybe you could find a Chrysler wheel.

Dean

126 - Copy.JPG

IMG_20161113_150519482_HDR - Copy.jpg

Dean,

Thanks for the insight.  Your DeSoto wheel was in better condition then mine. Haha.  I have a lead on a DeSoto wheel at the moment and if it doesn't work out, I will keep Chrysler in the back of my mind.  Your wheel is really nice by the way.

-Justin 

Edited by 51custom

1951-52 Chrysler wheels are just as hard to find in good condition as  51-52 DeSoto wheels sorry to say...... and yes they too will fit as mentioned.

It took me over 10 years to find a NOS 1952 Chrysler wheel for one of my cars... I paid dearly dearly dearly!!!!.... $$$$$ for it too!.:eek:

Ya gotta pay to play and it takes time to find the good stuff.

1951-52 Chrysler 1400403 NOS.JPG

Steering Wheel 1950 DeSoto NOS (2).JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

Dodgeb4ya,

That is a beautiful wheel. No wonder it cost so much. It was probably the last NOS Desoto wheel out there.

I had to fill a few cracks and paint my Chrysler wheel, but I really like the look of that original.

Dean

• Like 1

On 3/5/2017 at 9:33 PM, countrytravler said:

52 Chry that were parting out. Wheel not so good also.

Interior Shots (20).JPG

Seems to be common place.  I thought I had found a good deal on a DeSoto wheel, however someone decided it was worth a lot more then I was ever willing to spend on it.

14 hours ago, 51custom said:

Seems to be common place.  I thought I had found a good deal on a DeSoto wheel, however someone decided it was worth a lot more then I was ever willing to spend on it.

I have 2 customers that have spent 1000.00 plus on getting the steering wheel restored. A 38 Dodge truck and a 57 Crown.

• Like 1

I know $2300.00 is the number for some of the chrysler/plymouth glittery wheels late 50's early 60's! 

• Like 1

Nice job on that Wheel !!!!!:)

• Like 2