Brake minor adjuster

Conn47D24

Need help please with front brakes.  

Have read many many posts here but none specific to this...

All new shoes, springs , etc.  Started adjustment using the Miller Tool.

While moving the minor adjusting nut ( spring loaded one on outside of plate)  rather than sliding the shoes in and out it is pushing and twisting the shoes. 

Perhaps I've turned these all too far in one direction ?  Can this be done or do they just spin?

Rear brake job was smooth, tool was easy to learn and use.  This issue is unrelated to the tool but has me stuck.

What am I up against here folks??

Thanks in advance for any and all.

Clay

Edited by Conn47D24
Spelling

clay:  This is rich Hartung. I would say take the shoes off the one backing plate that is giving you the issue. Then look at the half moon adjuster that is at the top toe of the brake shoe.  Take your wrench and put it on the nut onthe back of the backing plate. This half moon is a pressed in assembly. I would then rottae the  nut in the correct direction as per your service manual. Check the movement of the cam to see what is going on with the unit. You might be going the wrong direction and this might be causing the issue.

If i remember correctly  the cam should turn out so that the big fat end on the half moon is at the back and the point is facing towards the shoe lining to get the shoe to move outwards.

call me if you need help,

Rich   

610-630-9188  484-431-8157

• Like 1

Looks like I'm on hold for a few days.

It seems to me I may have the wrong Springs. They seem too tight. Getting them on was a bear.  This could be why the shoes are flexiNG on adjustment attempts. 

I ordered new ones and will inspect and change them then.

Afraid if I dismantle now the fluid will leak out and I won't have new Springs handy.

repeat you posted.

Clay

Clayton you could put the spring clamp to hold in the cups in the piston.  Se if you can get the original springs Try Frank Mitchell in Georgia I do not remember the name of the company now that it was sold and renamed.

Call me when you get some time over the weekend 610-630-9188

Rich Hartung