Gyromatic trans fluid type

Olive Oyl

Hello all, I am new and apologies if this has already been asked. After reviewing 10 pages I gave up and figured I would just ask! My service manual says to use sae 10-w motor oil only. I am not certain what fluid to use as a modern day equivalent? The parts store says AW 32 hydraulic oil. Doesn't seem right to me to use a hydraulic fluid where the book calls for a motor oil! Any solid recommendations appreciated! IMG_1847.JPG

No, I did not do a search. Also, am I correct to understand that while my trans is the Gyro, I still have the fluid drive coupler? And my local parts store says the 10W is not available, just what they say is an equivalent, but I don't trust them. This has to be the most confusing transmission I have had to deal with! 

Edited by Olive Oyl
My phone posted before I was done typing!

I had to look for 10W too, found it at Tractor Supply. Do that search, you'll be reading for a month! But you need to learn. That tranny goes by 4 names. my 49 Chrysler is Gyromatic, the 4 speed 'automatic'. Practice how to drive it. The "Fluid Drive" is actually the part between the trans and the flywheel. (like a torque convertor) Don't mess with that.

Drain/fill is on the side. 3 1/12 pints. Keep us posted with your progress, or other questions.

• Like 1

Also go to the Imperial club website.  In there repair or tech section are several old Chrysler technician training programs that cover just about all aspects of the semi automatic transmission.  Pretty much 90% of problems with these units are external having to due with the wiring to the governor and or the solenoid.  In fifty plus years of hanging around these old Mopar contraptions have I ever heard of one having an internal fault excerpt for some gear wear.

The fluid drive unit will work with the universal tractor hydraulic fluidbubut conventional wisdom says unless you see physical signs of leakage, leave it alone.

Don't know if you are familiar with hydraulic clutches like what were used on old clothes washers, but the fluid drive unit is a similar power transfer devices that transmits power from the crank shaft to the flywheel. Through the hydraulic medium.

• Like 1

Thanks Guys! I know how to drive it! Have been for four years and want to go for more long distance travels. So I want to go through and change out all the fluids because I have no idea when they were last changed. I have read and reread this page to better familiarize myself with the transmission,http://www.allpar.com/mopar/m6.html but was still uncertain about the fluid coupler! Thanks for clarifying that for me! I know mine does not operate correctly because the wires are decayed off the solenoid! However I discovered you can trick the trans into shifting manually! I always start in low and at about 10mph I pull neutral and then put it back in low position, and it bumps up. then from there I pull it into high and do the same thing to grab high overdrive! Works every time and she cruises highway speeds no problem! I just want to get it working correctly now that I have the fund to do it!  

• 1 month later...

For what it's worth, my local O'Reilly auto parts was able to source some 10 weight oil. This stuff: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/PGDN/ND10/N0427.oap?ck=Search_N0427_-1_-1&pt=N0427&ppt=C0162 

I put it in my Fluid Torque Drive last October and ran the car from Michigan to Utah and back. I hope it was an acceptable lubricant. I ALWAYS worry a little about modern lubricants and how they react with whatever yellow metal bushings and bearings are used in these older contraptions. I figured the lack of a detergent additive was no big deal and arguably a bonus within a gearbox that doesn't have a filter. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hello everybody,

i have a question for you, if the 49 gyromatic trans can be use to replace a vaccamatic on a 41 chrysler??

i have a 41 chrysler royal, this car run and drive well but when the speeds increase the trans make a lot of noise like if someone try to shred sheet metal in a blinder......

i drain and a lot of metal parts came out of the trans in the oil......

i'm gonna try to fix this trans but i have a 49 gyromatic in spare and i wonder if i can use it on the chrysler.

and you can understand if i can it gonna save my life hahaha finding a 41 vaccamatic in france is a kinda hard to do ^^

thank y'all