4 link and explorer rear end

jeff the jerk

...well Jeff, you won't see too many 4-link set-ups or severely lowered rides on this forum so don't be too disappointed by lack of response.

Yes, the Explorer axle is an excellent unit and is used by many Mopar folks due to the low cost, modern design and ready availability at the local pick-n-pull. Choice of drum and disc, same bolt pattern as our Mopes as well as good gear ratios doesn't hurt.

Please do not take the next comment in a negative way.......if you need to ask how hard a 4-link set-up is to install then you are probably not up to the task...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wayfarer said:

Yes, the Explorer axle is an excellent unit and is used by many Mopar folks due to the low cost, modern design and ready availability at the local pick-n-pull. Choice of drum and disc, same bolt pattern as our Mopes as well as good gear ratios doesn't hurt.

Just to add, they are used because they fit without a lot of modifications. When you start talking 4 link your talking major mods.

Also, Google is your friend; http://www.killbillet.com/archive/index.php/t-19783.html

Edited by BigDaddyO

5 hours ago, wayfarer said:

...well Jeff, you won't see too many 4-link set-ups or severely lowered rides on this forum so don't be too disappointed by lack of response.

Please do not take the next comment in a negative way.......if you need to ask how hard a 4-link set-up is to install then you are probably not up to the 

5 hours ago, wayfarer said:

Please do not take the next comment in a negative way.......if you need to ask how hard a 4-link set-up is to install then you are probably not up to the task...

Hey no problem ive yet to do a 4 link but with the right information i can do just about anything 

• Like 1

Talked at length with my builder on suspension for these old ones.  Mine a 37 Dodge Sedan, 4-door.  After figuring it out he recommended Mustang Front, Heidts.  Ride height is adjustable so I don't have to live with a radical rake.  As for the back end.  Ford 8.8 rear.  and, since I plan to drive the car a lot, with people in it, he recommended using the original semi elliptic springs with the updated axle.  In his opinion, 4 link is nice, but nice for folks that don't travel much, haul much, tow much, drive much, use the car much, etc......Either way, both work. 

Edited by Sharps40

Yeah im spending the  $ on the 4 link instead of a mustang 2 up front the factory did a good job in the front im going to make my own dropped uprights fab up a bracket for shock relocation and put air springs in the pocket  and i might get a power steering kit from butches cool stuff this is not going to be an original restoration kind of a hotrod/taildrager and it will be an everyday driver in the summer and maby a few days in the winter i gotta take it in the snow at least once lol

I have the 8.8 and I added a 4 link and bags to mine. I used the original front spring mounts for the forward lower link mount and worked out all the other links to match them. I also added a brace above the pumpkin to center the upper links because the pumpkin is off center on the 8.8 I used. 

• Like 1

I had actually considered a four link myself for my 8.8. I went with the stock leaf springs for now, but I may try the four link at a later time. Maybe not bags though. If my leafs get too tired I think it's a good option over new leafs. 

On 3/4/2017 at 0:10 PM, Smokeybear said:

I have the 8.8 and I added a 4 link and bags to mine. I used the original front spring mounts for the forward lower link mount and worked out all the other links to match them. I also added a brace above the pumpkin to center the upper links because the pumpkin is off center on the 8.8 I used. 

Pictures?