Truck coughs and stutters going uphill?

Jamiejimbob

Hi

I replaced the fuel pump which died on me with another electric pump which ran fine for a while and then it died on me again. I checked the new fuel filter to find it blocked and full of crap.

I then drained the tank removed it and cleaned it out only find a tree branch in it!! which is obviously the cause of my blocked filter. I replaced the filter and the truck runs fine again however it still dies on me going uphill under steady constant acceleration as though it's not getting enough fuel. If I dip the clutch when it stutters and let it coast it stays running.

I'm thinking maybe the tree branch in the tank has killed the new pump, but before I replace it again is there anything else that may cause these symptoms?

Dodge 1945 Blackout with a later 1955 flathead and low pressure turbo.

Thanks

Jamie

The original tanks do not have baffles, so you have to take that in to account during operation on grades...I learned this the hard way and had to walk home uphill a few times, so I pulled out the fuel level sending unit and bent the float arm up a couple of inches so that the gauge would give me advance warning...eventually, I learned that the gauge needle movement would reduce as I got closer to empty, so that if I was still rolling when the needle stopped on E then I had better fill up soon or risk being a pedestrian again :cool:

• Like 2

Sounds like first it is a lack of fuel to the pick-up if you did a good job cleaning, only thing that makes sense if it only happens on a uphill pull.  Did you clean the carb out as well as the lines again? The bowl of the carb will amazing hold a lot of junk, but sounds more like it before the needle and seat too me.

14 hours ago, 4mula-dlx said:

Sounds like first it is a lack of fuel to the pick-up if you did a good job cleaning, only thing that makes sense if it only happens on a uphill pull.  Did you clean the carb out as well as the lines again? The bowl of the carb will amazing hold a lot of junk, but sounds more like it before the needle and seat too me.

I had the carb off, cleaned it and blowed the fuel lines through with my air compressor. I'll try more fuel in it. 

Thanks

15 hours ago, Jeff Balazs said:

You mention a turbocharger. Could it be running a little lean? And that condition shows up under load?

It flys along under acceleration on the flat. Maybe more fuel in the tank needed and a weakened fuel pump is the cause.