1955 c-3 steering wheel (looking for)

rusty dodge

Hey all, first time poster. Finally restoring a 55 c-3 I had from when I first started driving as a kid. Does anyone know where to find a matching steering  wheel online to buy or can point me a general direction where to look for one? Thanks all.

Edited by rusty dodge

I don't. The truck had an aftermarket wheel installed on it at the time I got it. I have found a salvage yard with a 57 steering wheel so I will have to check that one out but didn't know if if it was compatible before I drive across the state to get it. I know the wheel it is supposed to have is the 3 spoke. It should look like these which I found online pics of others 55's.

IMG_1089.JPG

IMG_1090.JPG

Year 47 and older used a smooth tapered shaft and a crescent shaped key to fix the wheel. Later have splined shafts. That will limit you to later years. No loss tho because nothing but pure functionality came on these generation's' of trucks, although I did see an aftermarket horn trim ring on e-bay once. I finally resorted to a 14-3/4" banjo wheel to replace my 3-spoke 18" stock  wheel on my 47 WC with great trepidation, fearing I wouldn't be able to muscle the truck around corners. Surprisingly the vehicle is more manageable and more fun to drive.

The limited info. I spouted above came from a conversation I had  with a vintage steering wheel restorer who was very knowledgable. I forgot his name but he creates a mold of originals, strips all the old material from your steel core and  casts new acrylic around it. He should be findable on the web and may have good info or better yet a wheel or mold to cast you one. 

Measure the diameter of your steering shaft and splines.  There is a difference in size (at least in the B series) between the 1/2-1 tons and the larger trucks.  I had a really nice horn ring wheel from a 1/2 ton that I wanted to put in my 2 1/2 ton last week-wouldn't fit over the threads, so I restored the original larger wheel.    Mike