Source for Remanufactured Generator

Buttiman53

Well, I replaced the bearing in my generator this morning. Good news is, the growling noise went away. Bad news is, now the generator doesn't work. I noticed while replacing the bearing that it was an old NAPA rebuild, and looked pretty long in the tooth. Brushes looked good and made good contact. Commutator looked pretty worn, and insulation was coming off some of the windings. So, now I'm in the market for a remanufactured generator. Found one on eBay for $200, but it has a broken tab that needs welding. The only other one I find is what DCM offers for $250 ($350 including $100 core charge). Are there any other sources out there to consider? Thanks.

Yes, I polarized it. The truck was set up as a negative ground when I got it. I change the battery cables around to a positive ground, and the ammeter needle read backwards. I polarized the system, and it fixed it. Generator worked great since, until I tore it apart.

Edited by Buttiman53

I found a rebuilt GGW 6001 generator on eBay for $185 and bought it. Installed it yesterday, and have never seen the ammeter needle move as much as it moves now! Charges like a big dog!

I bought the generator from Bill Jungck of "Custom Alternators and Starters" in Happy Valley,Oregon. (503) 777-7172 www.pmxalternators.com. He sells on eBay as "sunflower20005."