Oil pressure

fargo52

1 hour ago, fargo52 said:

I I am confused why you would need winter  oil , I will send a picture of what our winters look like we don't get the luxury of driving them in the winter as you can see by the snow on some of my parts trucks , that's OK pretty soon it will be summer and will be driving them every day to make up for the fact that in winter we get to park them.  And the part that sucks is we have all winter to work on our vehicles but we can't find any of our replacement parts because they're all buried in snow .

IMG_7283.JPG

Kevin, So Cal /Arizona cold winter nights and mornings could be 35 to 40f, and occasionally down to 25-30f, day time hghs 55-65 f.

So during the winter, 10 W 40 would make for easier starts and faster oiling....

You look like you have a lot of snow, is that a while ago.

Lots of our's is melted and a big mess

Edited by Rockwood

Rockwood that was on the weekend we have had a lot of it melt in the last four days , I think all the snowmobiles are going to be parked until it gets cold or snows more . 

4 hours ago, fargo52 said:

I I am confused why you would need winter  oil , I will send a picture of what our winters look like we don't get the luxury of driving them in the winter as you can see by the snow on some of my parts trucks , that's OK pretty soon it will be summer and will be driving them every day to make up for the fact that in winter we get to park them.  And the part that sucks is we have all winter to work on our vehicles but we can't find any of our replacement parts because they're all buried in snow .

IMG_7283.JPG

Well .......radically different weather here. Not even sure what that white stuff is. :)

It can as does get down to freezing once in a while in the winter. So 10w-40. Summer is much hotter. 112 a few times last year.. Combine that with stop n go traffic and 20w-50 makes much more sense. I also put a bottle of STP high mileage additive in every oil change. Helps keep the oil pressure up in very hot weather.

Jeff

1 hour ago, fargo52 said:

You should buy all my old snowmobile parts 30 plus sleds in boxes ????

I've had about 115/120 sleds and stripped well over 1/2, but I'm getting out of the sled parts game...wittled down my pile to fit in one trailer now, and trying to move.

Fargo52 - Looking at that photo, I know why my great-grandparent's moved to south Texas when they came over from Denmark and Sweden in the early 1800's, and I thank them for it every winter.

Edited by Bobacuda
  • Like 1

Well we have a lot less snow in my part of Manitoba, although we had a lot. Farm fields all poking through now, some creeks flowing, lots of slushy snow around, nothing like the south, no earthquakes, no hurricanes, very few tornadoes, no none of that, the crowds, the insane real estate, the nutty crazy commuters along the urban sprawl, nah you can have it....LOL

Here my son and I along Lake Winnipeg, north of Gimli Manitoba late today... 

20170222_172205_resized.jpg

20170222_172224_resized.jpg

20170222_172202_resized.jpg

Edited by Rockwood

12 hours ago, Young Ed said:

On my 46 is only scrapped on the second half of travel. I have no idea how it would have happened but the pedal appeared bent so we heated it up and pushed it back over. No more squeak. 

My pedal / arm was bent too . I put mine in the vise and hammered it back straight without heat . It looks like cast iron but it didn't break . 

9 hours ago, Jerry Roberts said:

My pedal / arm was bent too . I put mine in the vise and hammered it back straight without heat . It looks like cast iron but it didn't break . 

How the heck do they get bent? 

23 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Well we have a lot less snow in my part of Manitoba, although we had a lot. Farm fields all poking through now, some creeks flowing, lots of slushy snow around, nothing like the south, no earthquakes, no hurricanes, very few tornadoes, no none of that, the crowds, the insane real estate, the nutty crazy commuters along the urban sprawl, nah you can have it....LOL

Here my son and I along Lake Winnipeg, north of Gimli Manitoba late today... 

20170222_172205_resized.jpg

20170222_172224_resized.jpg

20170222_172202_resized.jpg

You missed we have no "Trump " 

On 2/22/2017 at 10:14 AM, dpollo said:

Just drove my 52 Fargo half ton for the first time after a full restoration.  I am quite pleased but there are the usual shake-down issues.

The truck itself had not been on the road since 1974 and had traveled only 57800 miles.... confirmed by the owner  at that time.

Except for the red wheels, it looks like  Fargo 52's truck.  I painted it Sherwood Green Metallic, a Chrysler colour, very much the same shade as the original Thistle green except  brighter.  I have somehow lost the  F=A=R=G=O  script from the front.  It will turn up when I least expect it. I have discovered that 49, 50 and possibly 51 are all different.  If someone has a spare, send me a PM should it be surplus.

Also, is there an effective way to stop the clutch pedal arm from screeching against the floor ? The bushing on mine is good, but it still rubs.

Glad the oil pressure problem worked itself out for you.  I use 15-40 with good results in all my older cars except the 28 Chrysler which seems to prefer a straight 30.

A little wheel bearing grease keeps my clutch pedal quiet nearly all through driving season....yup my bushings are shot, and the screeching was getting pretty bad.  You could also use a bit of white lithium or eve try rubbing it with a carpenters pencil or speedo lube.

• Like 1

Thanks for the clutch pedal advice.  Right now I am so glad to be driving it, I have simply retrained my left leg.

Later I think a new bushing, a slight re bend and some lubricant will all be part of the solution as well as a rubber block which will stop the pedal from smacking the floor on its upward return.

Great picures  Fargo-52.   I just remembered the story of the Gimli Glider.........I doubt if anyone who was there will forget.

I have indeed seen this used on other trucks.  Thank you all !

ON a HAPPY note,  I found my FARGO script which was AWOL.....  in the opposite corner of the garage where I last saw it.

Edited by dpollo
additional information

Mine has a piece of C width fan belt screwed down but I think it was put there to reduce the released pedal travel and stop the arm from hitting  the floor boards . 

IMG_7425.JPG

Edited by fargo52

My 52 clutch pedal rubs against the floor panel as well. Must be a common thing with these old trucks hey?

You can adjust the travel of the clutch pedal to prevent it from hitting the floor on return by turning the bolt in on the 'collar 65-45-5' (see attached manual picture). My pedal doesn't hit the floor as I have adjusted it to stop just before there.

Clutch pedal.JPG

I adjusted my pedals when I did my rebuild, but I also pulled every floor board and cleaned up and rubber guarded, then put foam rubber between the boards that bolt together...helped a lot with all the floor noise and my massive amount of insulation on the floor fills the gap and keeps the pedal arms fairly straight and quiet...best investment yet on the truck

Desotodav I remember see those under there I will see if they aren't siezed and try to adjust the pedal height then I can remove the optional C belt "thing a ma whatchamacallit "