1953 DeSoto Taxi

smleod

Oh, I did it again and now I have questions.

I went to the scrap yard today to get a light socket for the wife's van, and came across a 1953 DeSoto. It is a 4 door with a block # that shows it to be a taxi.

Here is where I request some advise. I have a 1948 Plymouth Special Deluxe. It is original. The engine runs great with the original 3 on the tree. I found an overdrive unit for it last year at the Portland Swap Meet that I will install when I get around to it. The DeSoto has the 25 inch 251 engine with the two speed tranny and power steering. I would be able to get this car cheap because it will be scrapped soon.

I understand there will be some mods needed to get the 251 in the Plymouth 23" vs 25". Would I be able to keep my column shift tranny?  I love that part of the old Plymouth. (I would probably sell the auto tranny) think I could get the powersteering system from the DeSoto into the Plymouth as well. Is this a common upgrade?

The 251 has had the plugs removed so it has been exposed to the elements (it doesn't have a hood). This would not be my first engine rebuild, but it would be my first L6 rebuild. How easy are 251 parts to come by?

After I have removed what I want, I would be selling the sheet metal and interior parts. Is there enough market out there for this style? I would just want to recoupe my expenses and this car really does have some good parts left (glass, doors, some interior, dash, etc.) I would bring it to the Portland swap meet and unload as much as possible.

I want to make my Plymouth as easy to drive as possible while keeping the feel from that era. More power, easier steering etc. will come years down the road, but I think we can all agree that when you need parts like this they are rarely available and never cheap.

The funny thing is that I never used the part for the wife's van.

Thanks for any advice.

1953_DeSoto1.jpg

I think the Desoto is beyond  salvage but the brakes  will fit your Plymouth.  The spindles must be used too.   So will the 251 with some modifications discussed elsewhere on this forum.  Desotos often used a 3.7 rear axle ratio.  I am not sure what the power steering  is like but if it is the ram type used by Plymouth in 54 then it would be beneficial.

Get the parts car and take everything that can be resold and then scrap the rest.  i do not like the looks of the car resting on the rims to support it inthe air.  Get some jack stands or a hydraulic jack under the car if plan to take anything off the car while itis in the junkyard.

Be SAFE and carefule and think before you do anything to put you in a bad position while working onthe car.  do not use a bottle jack to support the car.  Had a friend that had a 35 Desoto Airflow and was working on the manifold and the car slipped off the bottle jack and he did some real damage to his arm and removed alot of sckin.  OUCH

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Where is this car located?  I am not interested in the drive line.  I noticed a couple of other parts that I have interest in...

17 hours ago, smleod said:

This car is in the greater Portland area. The yard will be scrapping it soon and I still haven't decided what to do. Is a seized 250 drivtrain worth grabbing?

The crankshaft and connecting rods are the most valuable assets.  In my opinion, yes it is worth it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought it, well some of it. I cut it off just behind the tranny mount. It was surprisingly easy. Mostly because the body was so rusted that my saw just ate it up. Only took 2 hours. I am going to pull the head and see what I have. I really hope it was worth it. If it is not, you will all see some parts on the "For Sale" area, or at the Portland Swap Meet. I have already posted the tranny for sale on the appropriate forum... I hope. (I usually choose beer, but if the wife gives me wine, I wont whine) Enjoy the pics.

engine6.jpg

• Like 1

That DeSoto is actually a 1953 DeSoto Powermaster Six, model S18, on a 125½" wheelbase.  It was available in club coupe, sedan, hardtop, wagon and a LWB, 8 passenger sedan on a 139½" wheelbase.  The DeSoto taxi was also a model S18 but on the LWB 139½" wheelbase. 

DeSoto taixs were built with a complete chassis, flat head six engine, manual transmission, and the body in white.  A fellow named Waters had a shop on the east coast that took these stripped DeSoto LWB sedans and outfitted them to meet New York City taxi regulations : division window between front and rear compartments, only the driver's seat in the front compartment, trunk sealed shut with the space where the front passenger seat should be set up to accept suit cases and parcels.  To increase the number of passengers that could be carried, the rear seat for three passengers was augmented by two jump seats.  And that was why the LWB DeSoto was used.  The regular wheelbase taxis built by Packard, Plymouth, etc. did not have enough room for jump seats.   Only Checker and DeSoto built vehicles that could meet the NYC regulations and still carry a party of four from the theatre to a restaurant or lounge for an apres theatre drink (or two).

New York City changed their regulations in 1954 permitting regular Plymouths, Fords, and Chevrolets to be used.   Chrysler was working on a LWB DeSoto taxi for 1955 sharing the body with the Crown Imperial again.  They even assigned the first serial number and sequence for the 1955 taxi.  But it was not to be.  This affected the Crown Imperial LWB sedan and limousines as without the taxi sales the Crown Imperial would not be financially feasible.  The 1955 and 1956 Crown Imperials were built by Chrysler in Detroit as they were already tooled up ready to go, but the 1957 Imperial limousines would be done by Ghia in Italy.

Bill

It has the semi-auto tranny. It had a clutch, but also has "R L N D"  on the column. I am hoping to get the motor and power steering onto my 1948 Plymouth Special Deluxe. I am selling the tranny because I don't need it. I am hoping that I will be able to get the engine operational so I can get it to fit. If not, I will just part it out and be done with it.