Crankshaft Pulley Wobble

Buttiman53

I noticed today, while troubleshooting my generator bearing issues, that the crankshaft on my '53 B3B has a noticeable wobble, mostly at idle. I took the fan belt off and tried to moved the pulley but it seemed snug. Wanted to know if this is "normal" for a 64-year old truck, and if anybody else has ever noticed the same thing. Hope it's not an indication of things (bad) to come.

Have you made sure the big nut that holds the pulley/balancer on "if it has a balancer"  is tight??

Some balancers were made in two pieces with rubber molded between the two parts that often gets bad with age and can come  apart. The worse that can happen? - a part comes  off and destroys the radiator. You can try with a mirror and light take a look at least.

Actually hope that it not your issue and someone got crazy with a hammer or other tool at some point and it's just bent! Livable for now. ;)

DJ

I know this is getting "off-post," but.....

My B3B-108's serial number is 85320376. The "Model Chart and Serial Number Guide" found on the DPETCA website lists 85313701 as the first number for 1952, and no ending serial number for that year. The "Deciphering your 1948-53 Dodge truck code" guidance also found on the DPETCA website lists serial numbers starting at 85313701 as 1952-53 model year B3Bs made in San Leandro, and 85322001 as the starting serial numbers for B3Bs built in 1953. This overlap has always confused me.

The registration for my truck states 1953 as the year, so I always figured it was either built later in the production run, or shipped in 1953.

It has the round rear fenders.

IMG_0743.JPG

Edited by Buttiman53

• 3 weeks later...