slant six swaps

librado65

I am just curious. I have noticed while searching on my local Criagslist for a replacement engine for my 230 several Slant Six engines going between the $250-$400 range. The ads claim that they were leftovers from small/big block swaps. I am just curious if anyone has done a slant six swap on the 47-51 Dodge D24 or Coronets....or have any pics on here. Thanks

I dunno,but I have seen a 225 slant 6 in a 36 Plymouth.

1 hour ago, librado65 said:

I am just curious. I have noticed while searching on my local Criagslist for a replacement engine for my 230 several Slant Six engines going between the $250-$400 range. The ads claim that they were leftovers from small/big block swaps. I am just curious if anyone has done a slant six swap on the 47-51 Dodge D24 or Coronets....or have any pics on here. Thanks

Too bad your in Florida, I have several 230's for sale here in San Diego.....  I know of a guy whom put a Slant Six in a 1939 Dodge Truck.  But I lost contact with him....   I would have gladly asked him if I could have taken pictures for you.

I put a 225 with a torqueflite in a 50 Plymouth.   I used a truck (rear sump) oil pan, modified the firewall slightly and moved the radiator

to the front of the support.  An accessory trans cooler was mounted in front of the .radiator  The column gear change was arranged by using the bell crank which was part of the 50's linkage but fastened to the 225 bell housing and the lever  on the column extended up and over to the other side of the column so it would pull in the right direction.

The  throttle position transmission controls remained just as they were with the 225 and the gas pedal was changed to the cable unit from a Valiant.

A new crossmember was fabricated for the rear  and the rear end was changed to an 8 3/4 from a mid 60's Plymouth  . 3.23 ratio was ideal. A 72 Dart driveshaftwas used.  Ideally it could have been shortened about an inch but posed no threats of bottoming out.  

I ran this car for 20 years with no problems .  Modest power, good mileage.  Lots of highway miles.

• Like 2

the slant six is doable and suffers similar problems of the V8's of Mopar vintage, they are long in the snout (water pumps)  and you are also installing an engine that has all but been gone some 28 years itself.  Some look to the later Jeep inline 6 as drop ins if staying within the mopar family is your objective.  The later Pentastar V6's are the ticket and not a hard install but will require the donor wiring package and the electronic packages scare the bejebbers out of most folks.  Fiat Chrysler is now in the market selling retrofit wiring harness for their latest V8 performance engines.  initial is costly in my opinion but will keep you up on the power curve and operational economy to boot...I have not heard if they are going to offer the 3.6 V6 retro wiring...

• Like 2

I might have added, although the Slant six swap was a good one and a 283 Chev was a lot of fun,  my  old cars have flathead-six power with overdrive  and I find them to be adequate in all respects.   However, PA's remarks about the Pentastar V 6 make me itchy to try one in an older car.

58 minutes ago, dpollo said:

I might have added, although the Slant six swap was a good one and a 283 Chev was a lot of fun,  my  old cars have flathead-six power with overdrive  and I find them to be adequate in all respects.   However, PA's remarks about the Pentastar V 6 make me itchy to try one in an older car.

I agree the Chrysler flathead 6s when geared correctly, and if "souped" are very adequate.

To date, how many Pentastar V6 transplants have been done, curious to know if anyone has this power plant up and running on this forum.

283s, my "secret" other well liked engines, have owned a lot of them many years ago...

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

I agree the Chrysler flathead 6s when geared correctly, and if "souped" are very adequate.

To date, how many Pentastar V6 transplants have been done, curious to know if anyone has this power plant up and running on this forum.

283s, my "secret" other well liked engines, have owned a lot of them many years ago...

The small block Chev fits the 50's Plymouth  well because of the rear sump  pan and the starter on the right.  I equipped mine with a 350 hydraulic cam and an AFB.   Column  shifted the 57 chev trans and ran a 3.73 rear screw.   The car looked  bone stock.  Fun .  1970s style.

That  car was never as quiet which could have been improved with a three point mounting system like the 58s had.    The slant six swap , while lacking the zip of the 283  ran very smoothly and quiet.    I raise the compression in my flatheads to as much as 8 1/2 to 1 and also match the ports.   big improvement.

15 minutes ago, dpollo said:

The small block Chev fits the 50's Plymouth  well because of the rear sump  pan and the starter on the right.  I equipped mine with a 350 hydraulic cam and an AFB.   Column  shifted the 57 chev trans and ran a 3.73 rear screw.   The car looked  bone stock.  Fun .  1970s style.

That  car was never as quiet which could have been improved with a three point mounting system like the 58s had.    The slant six swap , while lacking the zip of the 283  ran very smoothly and quiet.    I raise the compression in my flatheads to as much as 8 1/2 to 1 and also match the ports.   big improvement.

Have owned a few slant 6s, never in a 50s Plym though, great engines, never a disappointment.

How about a 440/727 combo?

Raising compression could be 1 of the biggest bangs for your buck on the flatties. What is the most you have shaved off 1?

Edited by Rockwood

6 hours ago, 51cambridge said:

Mine was done using a 80 diplomat donar car. pics of my slant 6    i didn't do it.  i

I sure do love that Seafoam Green. That's the color my 48 Ply coupe is painted,and that is the color it will be repainted.

Well I guess the small blocks are probably the easiest and most budget friendly solutions than. The machine shop is quoting me about $1800-$2000 to rebuild it and than I still have to rebuild the transmission. I see small blocks and trans combos going for about the $1500-$2000 range and all I would need is new rear axle. Anyways thanks guys!