Update on the 1947 Deluxe and some questions!

Mortimer452

The fuel tank I can maybe make work.  The problem is the vent tube connection at the top, it sticks out about 1" proud of the top of the tank which means I need to add about 1" spacer to the bottom of the trunk pan to get it to mount correctly.  This also puts the tank *really* close to the driver side exhaust, maybe 1/2" between the tank and exhaust.

Edited by Mortimer452

Remove that vent and put a pipe tread flush type plug in it.

Make sure that you are running a vented cap. That is where the stock type gas tank was vented. The mfg.er must most likely can only build a tank that is properly smog legal.

What you do is not the anyone's business.

All should be good to go.

DJ

I bought a "vented" cap from the local NAPA. Then found out it was not vented when I removed it to fill the tank - almost blew the cap off and got a big rush of fumes from the tank. So I drilled the guts out of the center of the cap and tested it by blowing on the little hole in the center. It passed air easily after drilling, but not before.

New gas tank installed, ended up just plugging the vent hole as DJ194950 suggested.  The strapping it came with wasn't exactly designed for the factory mounts but with a bit of finagling got it to work.  

All the rubber portions of the fuel line were pretty deteriorated so replaced all of those, got it running from the tank now.  New sending unit installed but not hooked up, the wires are falling apart so I'll need to replace those first.

Took my first cruise on the road down to the neighbor's and back.  Drives pretty well, starts to shudder a bit around 40 but the tires probably have a bit of a flat spot from sitting so long.  Steering linkage is a little sloppy but not too bad.

Now time to get er cleaned up :)

DSC_0418.jpg

DSC_0417.jpg

DSC_0419.jpg

Edited by Mortimer452
added pics
  • Like 1

Can someone explain what these are?  This little chrome plate on the dash with a small hole in the middle?

Also there's a mounting hole for something in the firewall, just to the left and above the steering column.

DSC_0431.jpg

DSC_0432.jpg

DSC_0443.jpg

Edited by Mortimer452

5 minutes ago, greg g said:

Could it be the inlet for the drivers side heater in cars equipped with the fancy dual heaters??

way too low for that. The heater hoses go either just above or below the ridge in the firewall

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

The car is looking great! It looks like a little polishing and some good whitewall tire cleaning and you'll be ready for the Car Show season!  I've had my 48 Plymouth Special Deluxe 2dr sedan for 32yrs. I put a 53 Plymouth overdrive in it and drive all over on tours. Keep up the great work!  Keep sending the pictures.

Have Fun!

Ernie Baily

Spent some time over the weekend giving it a good polish & wax.  I'm a Meguiars fan and I've heard the M07 Show Car Glaze is great for old lacquers, and it's definitely true.  Here are a few before/after on some weird spots/stains.  All the upward-facing surfaces like hood, roof, tops of the venders were pretty scratched/stained from being used as a shelf for the past 20ish years.  The paint's not perfect but from 10 feet away it sure looks like it is.

Bleche-white did a pretty good job on cleaning up the sidewalls, but a cheap bottle of LA's Totally Awesome cleaner did an even better job.

Drove 3 miles to the gas station & back to fill 'er up for the first time, let it sit idling in the driveway for a few minutes, then left again and she just wouldn't chooch.  Bogged down every time I hit the gas.  Limped down to a neighbors to turn around and it died, wouldn't start back up.  Waited 15 minutes, fired back up again and I was able to limp back home.

Rebuilt carb last night, no further problems, just drove 11 miles to the grocery store and back.  Drives pretty well now.  Steering is pretty sloppy but still very controllable at in-town cruising speeds.  Engine has a bit of a tick, not loud, I may record a video and post up here to see if anyone recognizes the sound.

DSC_0437.jpg

DSC_0480.jpg

DSC_0435.jpg

DSC_0481.jpg

DSC_0479.jpg

DSC_0483.jpg

• Like 1

Been taking a few trips here and there around town since the weather has been nice.  I can make a 15 minute trip to the grocery store and back just great.  I can cruise at 60mph down the country roads into town and as long as it's a short trip, I have no problems.

After maybe 20-25 minutes, especially driving at highway speeds 50+, I start having issues, almost like it's starving for fuel.  Loss of power, engine cuts out & sputters if I press the gas more than a third or maybe halfway down.  It won't die on me idling, but really gotta feather the throttle and can't go above 40ish in 3rd gear.

Any ideas?  It's not getting hot, temp is steady at 180, but since this only happens after 20+ minutes of driving it makes me think it's heat-related.  Vapor lock maybe?  Still using original steel fuel line from fuel pump to carb, it is pretty close to the exhaust manifold (dual exhaust)  I tried bending it away to get some more clearance, but didn't seem to help much.

Edited by Mortimer452

Check the coil when it next happens.  It should be warm to the touch.  If you can't touch it, its breaking down.  The other possibility is an air leak somewhere between the fuelpump and the tank.  Might not leak fuel except when running when you wouldn't notice a drip or a wet line, but after a while your pump is trying to suck air and gas.  It is not designed to move foam.

Edited by greg g

Per Niels response above,try removing gas cap after the issue comes up and try going again, see what may be different.

DJ

On 5/4/2017 at 7:46 PM, Niel Hoback said:

Is your gas cap vented?

It is not vented, I thought you were onto something there, but I didn't notice any suction when I removed it after a long drive, even tried removing it, made no difference.  The seal on the underside of the cap cap is pretty much gone  (just a metal disk remaining) so I doubt it's air-tight.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I will definitely check the coil next time I take it out.