New Project 1950 B-2-C Original

WarriorDog

Got this truck last summer under the impression it had been running recently.  That wasn't the case.  Finally got some time to get started on it in the past few weeks.  

The day I brought it home

20160727_140702.jpg

Surface rust under the doors

20160816_120059.jpg

Dash is in good shape.  Original key still unlocks the passenger door.

20160816_120807.jpg

20160816_123031.jpg

Floor boards are in good shape too

20160816_120045.jpg

Edited by WarriorDog
  • Like 5

I tried to free up the engine with no success.  I found a used 218 from a 53 Plymouth Cranbrook close by and got a transmission with it.  The new engine has a newly built Electronic ignition distributor and already converted to 12 volt charging system.  I'm taking the new engine to a friends house this weekend to make sure it runs and has good compression.  I'll leave it at his house until I'm ready to install it.  Gonna go ahead and replace all the gaskets while it's out.  Get the oil pan flipped around and replace the Water pump etc.  

20160816_120710.jpg

20170128_105952.jpg

20170128_110008.jpg

20170128_110013.jpg

Edited by WarriorDog
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, WarriorDog said:

Get the oil pan flipped around and replace the Water pump etc.  

Couldn't you just swap the oil pans?

Nice looking truck by the way.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Silverdome said:

Couldn't you just swap the oil pans?

Nice looking truck by the way.

Yeah, I'm gonna swap the pan that's in the truck now with the one on the new engine.   Should have said "Swapped out".

Thanks fellas, for the input.  Much appreciated.   I've got the hood off and the front end is completely unbolted.  I'm gonna set the front end off inside the fenced backyard tonight and then get a sawhorse type stand for the bed to rest on for removal this weekend.  Not planning on removing the cab.  I'm just trying to make it easier to get to the brakes, rear end, suspension and gas tank with the front and rear removed.   It doesnt have any brake pedal pressure at the moment.   Gotta pull the drums and see if they're reuseable and just replace if the wheel cylinders and master cylinder while it's apart, etc.   I really dont want to put a lot of money into getting it roadworthy. Brakes, tires, shocks, gas tank, replace wood bed, redo the door glass felt etc.  

I worked for UPS for 38 years and retired 2 years ago.  Wifey and I have opened a clothing boutique in Chattanooga TN and we want to use the truck for advertising and photo background prop for our store.  Probably wont drive it 400 miles a year.  I'll probably paint it with some hot rod flat black and have wheels and some parts powder coated in a flat low lustre gold accent.  I want to get the store name along with Facebook and Instagram logos on the doors and bed and make it look like it's a 50 year old store truck.  

Any suggestions on a rust inhibitor to apply to the frame while it's apart?

17 minutes ago, WarriorDog said:

Yeah, I'm gonna swap the pan that's in the truck now with the one on the new engine.   Should have said "Swapped out".

Thanks fellas, for the input.  Much appreciated.   I've got the hood off and the front end is completely unbolted.  I'm gonna set the front end off inside the fenced backyard tonight and then get a sawhorse type stand for the bed to rest on for removal this weekend.  Not planning on removing the cab.  I'm just trying to make it easier to get to the brakes, rear end, suspension and gas tank with the front and rear removed.   It doesnt have any brake pedal pressure at the moment.   Gotta pull the drums and see if they're reuseable and just replace if the wheel cylinders and master cylinder while it's apart, etc.   I really dont want to put a lot of money into getting it roadworthy. Brakes, tires, shocks, gas tank, replace wood bed, redo the door glass felt etc.  

I worked for UPS for 38 years and retired 2 years ago.  Wifey and I have opened a clothing boutique in Chattanooga TN and we want to use the truck for advertising and photo background prop for our store.  Probably wont drive it 400 miles a year.  I'll probably paint it with some hot rod flat black and have wheels and some parts powder coated in a flat low lustre gold accent.  I want to get the store name along with Facebook and Instagram logos on the doors and bed and make it look like it's a 50 year old store truck.  

Any suggestions on a rust inhibitor to apply to the frame while it's apart?

My opinion only but if you intend to use it for promotion of your store I'd leave the body 100% as it is and just get some logos painted on the doors. I believe the weathered look would attract more attention than the hot rod new paint. 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Young Ed said:

My opinion only but if you intend to use it for promotion of your store I'd leave the body 100% as it is and just get some logos painted on the doors. I believe the weathered look would attract more attention than the hot rod new paint. 

I've thought about leaving the paint alone.  What would you guys do with the wheels?  Bumpers?  Lots of rust showing on the white wheels and bumpers.  Leave them, too?  

The black paint doesn't really have the rust colored patina that most find appealing.  And the rusty white parts just dont quite fit in my opinion.

Edited by WarriorDog

My tires were 25+ yrs old when I got the '48 running, so I tossed the old tires, sandblasted primed and krylon rattle canned semigloss black to the rims and put new tubes and tires on the cleaned up rims...the bias ply tires lasted 10 yrs (10k miles), only had 2 flats, and the paint still looks good :cool:

• Like 1

All of the clothing catalogs I see have distressed trucks and cars in them. Keep it real, new paint is for those who put bodies on new frames. Old frame old body, old paint. Hit the rusty spots with CLR and let the rest shine through. You'll get more curb appeal with original than redone. Just sayin. Best of luck. 

• Like 1

You can prime and paint the bumpers with rustoleum and a foam paint brush...follow the directions to the letter, take your time, and that refurb will only cost a few bucks...l painted a 500 gallon LPG tank using this method, and over 5 yrs later of sitting in the scorching TX sun, it is still a shiny aluminum color, with no old rust bleed thru :cool:

1 hour ago, JBNeal said:

You can prime and paint the bumpers with rustoleum and a foam paint brush...follow the directions to the letter, take your time, and that refurb will only cost a few bucks...l painted a 500 gallon LPG tank using this method, and over 5 yrs later of sitting in the scorching TX sun, it is still a shiny aluminum color, with no old rust bleed thru :cool:

I can get rid of the rust.  I have a friend with a powder coat business that I use frequently.  He can sandblast them and get the rust off.  Just trying to think about what coating/colors  to put back once the rusty / white paint is gone?  Maybe a bronze patina color powder coat?  I'm not set on anything yet.  I'm just seeking some input/suggestions for the bumpers, wheels, maybe the 3 grill strips, the parking light rings, headlight rings, etc. I thought seriously about replacing the front bulkhead bed panel and tailgate with something from Mar-K.  If I do that then I'll need to get some coating/color on the bare metal.  Ideas?

I want to shout out a Thank You  to GGDad for offering some of his spare parts up for sale.  

I've been told by quite a few people, other than just here,  to leave the body/paint alone.  And I'm leaning that way.  Just not sure how it will look with old paint on the body and new colors/coatings on wheels, bumpers, etc.  

12 hours ago, JPP said:

All of the clothing catalogs I see have distressed trucks and cars in them. Keep it real, new paint is for those who put bodies on new frames. Old frame old body, old paint. Hit the rusty spots with CLR and let the rest shine through. You'll get more curb appeal with original than redone. Just sayin. Best of luck. 

Or those doing a restoration.  Some of these old guys also need body work to be safe so...I wouldn't say your comments fit 100%.

Some years ago... back in the 70s, John Jerome wrote a little book called "TRUCK".  ...... his adventures with a 50 Dodge .It is an amusing read.  I had a look for it this morning to get the ISBN number but to no avail.  I am sure it can be foung through Amazon or the like. I would recommend it to anyone with a Pilothouse era truck and a sense of humour.  

* I found a 1996 edition on Amazon.  Has a  GM truck on the cover  but I am sure it is the same story.  The full title is " Truck   on  rebuilding an old pickup truck and other post-technological adventures"

Edited by dpollo
additional information

13 hours ago, JPP said:

Agreed if its in decent shape which this one seems to be. You can certainly restore one As GGDad said

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, dpollo said:

Some years ago... back in the 70s, John Jerome wrote a little book called "TRUCK".  ...... his adventures with a 50 Dodge .It is an amusing read.  I had a look for it this morning to get the ISBN number but to no avail.  I am sure it can be foung through Amazon or the like. I would recommend it to anyone with a Pilothouse era truck and a sense of humour.  

* I found a 1996 edition on Amazon.  Has a  GM truck on the cover  but I am sure it is the same story.  The full title is " Truck   on  rebuilding an old pickup truck and other post-technological adventures"

prior discussion about this book with Amazon link :cool:

51 minutes ago, dpollo said:

I have a copy of the book, "Truck -  On Rebuilding A Worn-Out Pickup, And Other Post-Technological Adventures" by John Jerome -( ISBN 0 370 30058 0 )

I got the engine out of the 53 Plymouth out of my truck on Thursday.  Spent most of the day stripping the block.  We turned the engine and heard the compression from the cylinders.  Put a battery to the starter and the engine turns.  Put some fuel in the carb and started the engie for about 12 seconds.  No knocks or anything unusual.  So we stripped everything off the engine  and made a list of parts to get for replacing.  I'm taking the flywheel and head to have machined before reassembly.  

20170217_120745.jpg

20170217_124119.jpg

http://vid296.photobucket.com/albums/mm187/WarriorDog/20170217_124351_zpsu2ejsbmt.mp4

Edited by WarriorDog