Stromberg carby main jet adjustment

Geekay

My 56 dodge has a Stromberg Carby BXV with vacuum control.

It has an adjustable Main metering jet, with thumbscrew for fine adjustment (see photo - at base of the fuel bowl).

Can anyone tell me what is the starting point for this jet e.g. is it screw it in still it stops( i.e. jet hole closed)  and then back one and a half turns?

Also, where do you guys get the larger gask that is between the top of this main body and throttle body

IMG_20170215_114712.jpg

Anyone???:mellow::huh:

Have I stumbled onto the only technical question on this forum that no one knows the answer to?:eek:

I have set it at one and one half turn out and will see how that goes.-_-

Edited by Geekay
add information

Thanks Don, as i said in my post it is the Main jet.It has this extra thumb screw to make it easy to change jets..you can see it sticking out the bottom of the fuel bowl.

Had previously checked out that site, but it does not actually answer my question, so I just set it at one and one half turns out.

Anyway, not such an issue now as yesterday I finally have the dodge running smoothly - at least at fast idle. :lol:

Still would like to know what is the normal ideal setting though. Maybe it should just be fully screwed in? :confused:

Will also try this too now I have the sparking issue sorted.

Will also fine tune with timing light to find the sweet spot. Set on TDC at present.

BTW - do you happen to know how man degrees each of the timing notches are on the pullley. My workshop manual does not say.

I am assuming probably 2 degrees for each notch. there are four either side of TDC. This is on a 1955 251 engine.

Edited by Geekay
add extra information
  • Like 1

I looked in one of my catalogs and the Stromberg BXV-3 carb was used  the early dodges the gasket set would be  J-5968-g.  The gasket set should have the gaskets that you might need.  Check on ebay for kits for your carb. I have found that most of the rebuild kits are not including all of the necessary parts to rebuild the old carb. You should thry to get an original Stromberg kit so that you have all of the internal small parts.

On my carter carb I turned the idle screw all the way in and then turned it out the 1 - 1 1/2 turn to get the good idle. also there are several rebuild kits on Ebay if you search on Stromberg carburetor BXV kits

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Edited by desoto1939