Gear Selector Rod Wear - 40 Plymouth

Bmartin

gs1.jpggs5_a.jpggs4_a.jpggs3.jpg

Sorry, the text is on the bottom, not sure what happened.

The gear selector rod on my Plymouth has an hour glass shape to it as does the bracket.  I'm about to take it to a gentleman who can weld them up and make them square.  I just wanted to make sure that this is the way it was from the factory.  Its an odd wear pattern to me, and almost looks intentional with the way it pivots in the bracket.  So, is this supposed to be square?

Edited by Bmartin

The lower picture shows a  curved slot which allows for adjustment to make the lever level when the transmission  is in neutral.

The other picture shows slight wear where the lever fastens to the shaft from the handle.   When the nut is tightened against this, I do not think it would move enough to ever be a problem.  It appears that the nut may have been loose for a long time.

• Like 1

I tightened down that nut but it does not stay and loosens up over time from the movement.  As long as its supposed to be square, I will get it fixed up so that it is good for the long hall.  Its out already anyway. 

The answer to your question is, yes, that slot and the shift rod are supposed to be square for a nice, snug fit.  Once you get those squared up, without the movement the bolt will probably stay tight.  I put a lock washer over a flat washer on mine to keep them snug.