53 dodge truck gas tank

tattooman43

Hey Tats - I had a similar problem in my rebuild a few months ago, and after research decided to buy a tank from these guys: http://www.tanksinc.com

Take a look at the one they show for 1939-47 Dodge Trucks. It will fit our Pilothouses with simple mods. I've got mine installed now and would be happy to send pictures or answer any questions.

- Fowl Jeff

54 minutes ago, Fowl Jeff said:

Hey Tats - I had a similar problem in my rebuild a few months ago, and after research decided to buy a tank from these guys: http://www.tanksinc.com

Take a look at the one they show for 1939-47 Dodge Trucks. It will fit our Pilothouses with simple mods. I've got mine installed now and would be happy to send pictures or answer any questions.

- Fowl Jeff

Not really trying to drop 250 on a tank for a ratrod/shop truck

Put a beer keg in or on it. Make it look great!:D

• Like 1

So then it's a 54-55 tank. There used to be an old thread on here showing the differences. Mainly filler neck position and angle. 

BTW... the top and bottom pic are the same tank, just before and after restoration. 

Edited by 59bisquik

1 hour ago, 59bisquik said:

So then it's a 54-55 tank. There used to be an old thread on here showing the differences. Mainly filler neck position and angle. 

BTW... the top and bottom pic are the same tank, just before and after restoration. 

I was reading in a topic said a 90's s10 gas tank was close....then I see alot of people using 65 mustang gas tanks...

fuel tank comparison

Budget constraints include time and $$$...fixing the factory engineered tank with Renu method is expensive but takes very little time for the truck restorer...using a modern tank is cheap but requires modifications to function reliably and that takes time...if you are doing a custom rod, then your burden is to determine which has more value: your time or your $$$ :cool:

I am also going to come up against this issue. I have 2 tanks to choose from, one has a ball of old bubble gum looking patch material on it already.

Another looks good on the exterior, but it sat with no gas cap on it for years and expect holes.

I have newer tanks available from different trucks, What I wonder about, is there any certain modern sending unit that can be made to work with the original gas gauge?

Or what others have done to get around the gas gauge issue.

1 hour ago, JBNeal said:

fuel tank comparison

Budget constraints include time and $$$...fixing the factory engineered tank with Renu method is expensive but takes very little time for the truck restorer...using a modern tank is cheap but requires modifications to function reliably and that takes time...if you are doing a custom rod, then your burden is to determine which has more value: your time or your $$$ :cool:

Im just trying to find something close to my original tank if I have to make a bracket that's find...just not trying to spend 300 on a tank or pit a corny keg in the back...I've heard 65 mustang tanks but there to flat and not wide enough then I read last night a 90's s10 is close  or a Nissan Fronteer just don't know what way to go the measurements on the old tank are 41 1/2 x 16 x 9

20 hours ago, tattooman43 said:

.I've heard 65 mustang tanks but there to flat and not wide enough 

That would be true in the stock location.  I've used Mustang tanks on various builds and have always built a framework at the back between the frame rails.  You have to be a little creative for the fill pipe with a pickup.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lonejacklarry said:

That would be true in the stock location.  I've used Mustang tanks on various builds and have always built a framework at the back between the frame rails.  You have to be a little creative for the fill pipe with a pickup.

I would have to move or remove 2 main frame rails support I'm trying to install one back under bed behind cab

I did the gas tank Renu for my 48 back in 96, and for my 49 back in 04, and both are still in great shape...I spent my time working on the engines while those tanks were being refurb'd...maybe the s10 tank can be close enough to use for now as a place holder so you can get your project rolling...Dakota and 2nd gen Ram tanks might be too wide...but since this is your custom build, only you will know what will work for you :cool:

26 minutes ago, JBNeal said:

I did the gas tank Renu for my 48 back in 96, and for my 49 back in 04, and both are still in great shape...I spent my time working on the engines while those tanks were being refurb'd...maybe the s10 tank can be close enough to use for now as a place holder so you can get your project rolling...Dakota and 2nd gen Ram tanks might be too wide...but since this is your custom build, only you will know what will work for you :cool:

yep in wanting it to fit back like the stock one.. it using one out of a junkyard car isn't gonna work...I'm worried about it being to tall and sitting way below the frame rail..or hitting my driveshaft...

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/13/2017 at 2:17 PM, Fowl Jeff said:

- Fowl Jeff

Friend of mine made a present of cleaning, soldering and sealing my tank. So I went to tanksinc to splurge on a sending unit. I hadn't been under the truck so long that I forgot it is NOT a five hole mount. Not at all compatible to the locking ring on these old things. Don't be like me - be careful.