Motor ID parts needed

MATT47025

Our 1950 Dodge truck has a Plymouth engine. When we bought the truck it still had a jasper tag fastened under one of the head bolts. 

The main seals are leaking pretty bad and we would like to replace them. So I would like to identify what year of plymouth engine this is. 

Maybe its not possible I dont know. Can any of you experts out there help.?

I have included a photo. 

PI5*36697T

motor id.JPG

As far as determining what rear seal its best To just drop the pan. Some told me it was the rope type and some said it was the flanged 2 piece seal type. When I dropped the pan it was obvious I had the 2 piece flange type.

Do some searching for write ups on installing the pan gasket, other wise you'll be tempted to cut the end gaskets. Don't cut any of the gaskets there designed to work and if you try trimming the excess with will definitely have a leak. There are lots of write ups on the subject. I post one if I find it.

1 minute ago, oldmopar said:

A vendor like roberts would have them or you should be able to get a local auto parts if you can find someone old enough to understand what you are talking about

Buy new fresh seals and gaskets, do not buy dried out NOS seals and gaskets that have been laying on the shelf for the last 60 years or longer.

Funny note.... This was an old farm truck. they did what they had to keep them running. The oil sump is opposite of what it should be for a truck 

so "back in the day" they just modified the pan with a hammer for clearance issues. 

Edited by MATT47025