dim dash lights

Ron42Dodge

My dash lights are dim.  If I have my 42 Dodge out at night, I can see the speedometer and gauges but not really see the numbers and needles  

I have the dash dim switch set to the maximum setting.  And all my wiring is new.  

Should I be chasing the ground of the dash board?  Is there a certain spot that it grounds or would it be any and all places the dash bolts to the car?  

verify first that the lamps are of the correct wattage.....they may well have been replaced over the years with wrong unit....checking the grounds never hurts in these old wiring systems.  Your car should be ground on almost any and all metal parts if indeed the mechanical connection is clean and firmly tightened.  Ensure you have a good engine to chassis/body strap

not to be smart about an answer but did you replace the bulbs with a 12 volt bulb by accident. I would think the dash would be grounded to the body becasue it should be bolted to the body. Might gust run a ground from the dash to a clean metal frame member to see if that makes the bulbs brighter.

Rich Hartung

A serious question because I really don't know. Where the old 6 volt dash lights ever bright,even when the cars were new?