Door sill / Running boards

fede

Hello everyone, 

I'd like to know if anyone has replaced the door sills or running boards on a P15 (I don't know the correct name, I attached a photo of what I am looking for).  Where did you buy them? Were them any good? The ones on my car are in quite bad shape, and I can't think of any substitute.

Thanks!

Federico Barbieri

Door sill - running board - DeSoto~2.jpg

plymouth doctor has them..  The ones for my 47 Dodge are $200 each.  they also do not have the  metal backing in them.  You are suppose to glue them down.  I'm going to see if I can glue them to my old metal backing when I get mine.

Ditto.  I got the ones (front & rear) for our 48 D24 from the Plymouth Doctor, too.  Don't remember the cost, that was 10 years ago.  Quite happy with the fit and appearance, but the attachment leaves a bit to be desired.  But as much as we use the car I haven't actually "attached" them, because they fit well enough that I don't find the need to quite yet. 

Thanks for you answers, I will contact Plymouth Doctor, although 200 each is more than I was hoping for, and I need international shipping on top of that.

Are there any other options?

I had the same problem.  I didn't want to spend a pile of money, so I fabricated my own.  14 gage steel cut to size, and rubber material I purchased at Lowe's.  Glued the rubber to the steel, drilled and tapped for 8-32 stainless FH screws & finishing washers.  I think they look good, and the cost was minimal.  I attempted to provide pictures, but I guess the pics were too large .  I'll try again later if you'd like to see them.

Wayne

Edited by Oldguy48
misspelled word
  • Like 2

I used ribbed rubber matting to replace the sill mats on the coupe I used to own (picture attached). Similar matting is available with wider ribs, which I'd use if I was going to do this again. It's a quick, cheap fix.

I've used that wider-ribbed rubber in the trunk of my car (see pic of first trial fit) but I've now bitten the bullet and fitted a pair of repro silicon rubber sill mats that I got from eBay. They are nice items and look good on my car.

Sorry I don't have a picture of those but I hope this is some help.

Robin.

post-13-13585347476994.jpg

16442839_1254383567960298_1465506883_o.jpg

Edited by Robin (UK)

I had the same problem.  I didn't want to spend a pile of money, so I fabricated my own.  14 gage steel cut to size, and rubber material I purchased at Lowe's.  Glued the rubber to the steel, drilled and tapped for 8-32 stainless FH screws & finishing washers.  I think they look good, and the cost was minimal.  I attempted to provide pictures, but I guess the pics were too large .  I'll try again later if you'd like to see them.

Finally added a pic.

Wayne

036.JPG

• Like 6

I have the glue ones on my 46 convert.  I put them down with black silicone.. No problems with them.. I see Bernbaum has them now. I paid $300 a couple years ago.  Look good.

@Oldguy48, yours look really good, congrats!

I checked Bernbaum (oldmoparts.com, right?) and the only ones I see ("C-454 Rubber sill mat, 4-door") are about the same price as plymouth doctor. ($525-$520)

I'm not the best at DIY, but maybe it's worth the try...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, fede said:

@Oldguy48, yours look really good, congrats!

I checked Bernbaum (oldmoparts.com, right?) and the only ones I see ("C-454 Rubber sill mat, 4-door") are about the same price as plymouth doctor. ($525-$520)

I'm not the best at DIY, but maybe it's worth the try...

You could cut out a cardboard pattern for each sill. and have a local sheet metal shop cut the sill plates for you. Drilling and tapping the holes is fairly easy, but if you're not familiar with the process, read up on it, and practice on a piece of scrap before you tackle your car.  (small taps can break easily if you force them, and can be difficult to remove), and be sure to use a threading lubricant.  You can definitely do this youself...I KNOW you can do it !!  Please post pictures when you're finished.

Wayne

On 2/7/2017 at 4:14 PM, Oldguy48 said:

You could cut out a cardboard pattern for each sill. and have a local sheet metal shop cut the sill plates for you. Drilling and tapping the holes is fairly easy, but if you're not familiar with the process, read up on it, and practice on a piece of scrap before you tackle your car.  (small taps can break easily if you force them, and can be difficult to remove), and be sure to use a threading lubricant.  You can definitely do this youself...I KNOW you can do it !!  Please post pictures when you're finished.

Wayne

Bernbaum Has them on page 21 of their catalog with the note   call for price.