Rear end

Mattias78

29 minutes ago, Don Coatney said:

Lots of available options.

mopar_axle_sizes.jpg

Don, helps me out too. Thanks for posting.

Yes it is. I just picked a 1999 Explorer rearend with a 3.73 gear ratio and limited slip and disc brakes for $100...I suggest going with disc brakes though.  You have to grind just a smidge off the calipers to use the 48 rims.

being in a country with fewer choices for retrofitting means that it would best serve you to hit the local yards and explore these that area available yourself with attention to flange to flange width, bolt pattern, ring size for strength, ratio to capture and apply your power available from the drive train.  Consider at this time also the rear input yoke and the components one will need to source to be able to connect you existing driveshaft.  Keep in mind if you do upgrade it would be easy at this time to grab all the rear e-brake components including such welded posts or stands on the frame that support the hardware for easy retro to your car and give yourself a better e-brake...I have found that you can easily use the existing handles without any real problem, so far I have found that they just clip together using newer hardware back to that of the older style.  Not much changed in this section.  If you find a unit you think is for you...you can source new narrow perches from companies like Summit Racing or trailer supply houses to make the install go smoothly and not have to remove the perches from the stock unit should anything force you to back track...The Ford units are strong enough as will be most any of the Jeep Cherokee that should also be popular in your location.  Full size trucks will not be of much use to use

1 hour ago, dale said:

Yes it is. I just picked a 1999 Explorer rearend with a 3.73 gear ratio and limited slip and disc brakes for $100...I suggest going with disc brakes though.  You have to grind just a smidge off the calipers to use the 48 rims.

Thanks!

i'm not using the orginal rims! One of them are twisted so i bought new ones!

are you going to use your stock leafsprings?

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

being in a country with fewer choices for retrofitting means that it would best serve you to hit the local yards and explore these that area available yourself with attention to flange to flange width, bolt pattern, ring size for strength, ratio to capture and apply your power available from the drive train.  Consider at this time also the rear input yoke and the components one will need to source to be able to connect you existing driveshaft.  Keep in mind if you do upgrade it would be easy at this time to grab all the rear e-brake components including such welded posts or stands on the frame that support the hardware for easy retro to your car and give yourself a better e-brake...I have found that you can easily use the existing handles without any real problem, so far I have found that they just clip together using newer hardware back to that of the older style.  Not much changed in this section.  If you find a unit you think is for you...you can source new narrow perches from companies like Summit Racing or trailer supply houses to make the install go smoothly and not have to remove the perches from the stock unit should anything force you to back track...The Ford units are strong enough as will be most any of the Jeep Cherokee that should also be popular in your location.  Full size trucks will not be of much use to use

Thanks!!

good Idea with the ebrake! 

Will dom some measurements and look around the local junkyards!

Sounds like you are doing a different motor and transmission change.  If not why do you want to change the rearend ?  Yes Im planning on using the original springs so far.

Whats going in Mattias ?  Have you considered a later model six cylinder ?  Like a Volvo ?  The rearend spring and axle to axle width must be close.

Edited by dale
added

A Volvo !! No no!:) thats no fun!!:)

it's going to be a great american V8! Looking at the dodge 318 or a Chevy havent decided yet! Talked to a guy and told me not to go with the 318 becasuse the are a little bit wider then the Chevy so there will be clerence issues! But i dont know!!:( would be more fun to stick to mopar!!

How about a Plymouth 426 Hemi !!!  LOL    If I were to do over my installation of the 350 chevy  Id  put in rack and pinion steering.  Get rid of that damn steering box and that would make the rest much easier. The 318 would fit easier too.

If you search in this forum you will find many details about installing a Mopar 318. They fit well and easily clear the steering column with the A-body exhaust manifold....is your car a LHD?  ...not sure what happens with a RHD.....

not by the fact it is offset in itself...however, you will need to determine if the tunnel will interfere when setting the rear axle on the springs..correct phasing of the axle will allow for offset left to right and up and down and a combination of both if you observe parallelism of the imaginary lines of the driveline components when mounting... 

You could go for a 83/4 axle, but they are heavy. They are quite easy to find in Sweden alterativley an axle from a Dakota. Sorry to say but an Volvo axle would be perfect If you won't be racing.

This is a good site if you want to compare different  engine dimensions http://www.carnut.com/specs/engdim.html

you are correct an 318 is a bit wider but Mopar car should have a Mopar engine :-)