How did these kids survive?

casper50

I enjoyed it also, the title made me think of my raising.  I never had a child safety restraint seat or booster seat growing up. Didn't really know of such things til not long before I got married. I remember Dad having a 65 Impala and a Ford country squire wagon when I was a kid. I remember laying up in the rear window on some trips in the Impala. I remember the wagon had the hidden jump seats and he would take me and the neighbor kid fishing in it and them jump seats were really cool for some reason. lol   I'm pretty sure it was the mid 80's before I had ever put on a seat belt. Still rarely wear one, yes have paid a couple of tickets, I know better just wont do better.  My mom and dad both smoked and didn't go outside to do it. ( I never have other that a cigar every great once and a while) Dad gave me a sip of beer every now and then as far back as I remember. Dad had me shooting guns since I was old enough to hold 'em. On the forth of July he would give me a huge brick of firecrackers and an old zippo and say " be careful".  I could go on, but I know you get my point. It's amazing how things have changed over the years. I'm sure you guys that are older than me can tell some good ones on how things have changed.  

• Like 3

On 2/9/2017 at 1:38 PM, Flatie46 said:

I enjoyed it also, the title made me think of my raising.  I never had a child safety restraint seat or booster seat growing up. Didn't really know of such things til not long before I got married. I remember Dad having a 65 Impala and a Ford country squire wagon when I was a kid. I remember laying up in the rear window on some trips in the Impala. I remember the wagon had the hidden jump seats and he would take me and the neighbor kid fishing in it and them jump seats were really cool for some reason. lol   I'm pretty sure it was the mid 80's before I had ever put on a seat belt. Still rarely wear one, yes have paid a couple of tickets, I know better just wont do better.  My mom and dad both smoked and didn't go outside to do it. ( I never have other that a cigar every great once and a while) Dad gave me a sip of beer every now and then as far back as I remember. Dad had me shooting guns since I was old enough to hold 'em. On the forth of July he would give me a huge brick of firecrackers and an old zippo and say " be careful".  I could go on, but I know you get my point. It's amazing how things have changed over the years. I'm sure you guys that are older than me can tell some good ones on how things have changed.  

I totally can relate to this.  My mom's car was a 1966 Dodge Charger and my dad's was a 1968 Super Bee 383.  No seatbelts and I sipped the old man's beer....

Today, I have never shared my beer with my boys and don't drink around my kids anyway....  If I had time off to drink, perhaps I wouldn't seem to be such a goody two-shoes.  I do recall that the old man had time off with money to burn.  Was it really that much affordable to live in the 1970's and early 1980's?  Just saying...

• Like 1

Yes I used to lay out on the rear window deck of my Dads 56 Belair at on night drives through LA back in the day. It was no big deal back then. Rode in the back of a pickup to San Francisco and back in the 70's. Again no big deal. Used to dirt bike way out in the middle of the desert. No cell phones.....or first aid kits and I know for certain we never took any water with us. But we survived it all and a whole lot more. Not sure if the kids today are made of the same stuff?

• Like 2

A lot of kids today are being turned into delicate little snowflakes by over protective parents and society.

Bring them up wisely... then  let em design their wonderful future!

• Like 8

A few years back my city slicker over protected granddaughter was at our place for a few days in the fall.   Her grandma picked some green beans and ate them right in the garden. Our granddaughter couldn't believe grandma did not wash it first.  Now she comes over and will pull out a carrot and wipe if off on her pants and eat it right in the garden.  Another time I had her drive my utility tractor and she was to light so I put a jumper wire in the safety switch so she could drive it without the tractor shutting off.  Her mom showed up and she had to show her how she could drive grandpas tractor all by herself.  Her mom overheard me telling someone that I had to override the safety switch, mom just gave me a dirty look and walked away.  The good news is that the parents have realized that the kids get a great education when they are here. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

A lot of kids today are being turned into delicate little snowflakes by over protective parents and society.

Bring them up wisely... then  let em design their wonderful future!

Yes.....and they are quite confused when we tell them that we did this stuff...and survived without any apps. :eek: OMG!

• Like 1

I used to put one kid in front and the other in back, and take them hill climbing on the dirt bike.

We fell off a couple times too. Their mom wasn't happy, but they survived and both grew up to be great parents.

I took them many times in the P15 and my '59 Edsel, with no seat belts, and they survived.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty sure at 1:03 the guy calls the driver an a-hole........maybe cuz he didn't buckle in the kids?.....:D

48D

• Like 2

I actually relate to the shots of the conveniences from 1:37. I look after the public facilities maintenance for the Town, and things can be pretty disgusting. It gave my staff a bit of a laugh. Good to see things haven't changed since 1946. 

Rick

• Like 1

In 1963 we bought a Chev II (Nova) station wagon. We put the back seats down threw in a nice foam pad a blanket or two some pillows a a ton of toys. Kids loved to travel. In winter we tied a grain shovel on a long rope, tied the other end to the saddle horn and went flying in the snow. Times were quite different! 

When I was a kid I built a down hill gravity powered go cart from scrap lumber nailed together. I used lawn mower wheels and a 2X4 front axle for steering with a rope tied near each front wheel. I got fancy and made a padded seat stuffed with grass clippings and I made a seat belt using an old raincoat belt from my dads raincoat. First trip down the hill one front wheel hit a big rock and flipped the axle 45 degrees and I went end over end. Good news was the seat belt kept my butt strapped to the grass filled seat cushion. Bad news is the seat cushion separated from the frame and when I landed my butt hit several exposed nail heads that poked several holes in my butt. But I was young and invincible in those days.

• Like 1

I lived near the bottom of one of the biggest hills in the neighborhood. We used to race anything and everything you could ride down it. It was "run what ya brung", first one to the bottom wins. Most of what we raced didn't have brakes. Things like pedal cars, radio flyer wagons, Tonka trucks or something like Don mentioned.  I was a was always skinned up. lol. But hey, that's racing.

• Like 1

I made a "car" out of 2X4's and 2X6's. The platform was on the axles and we steered it with our feet on the front swivel axle. Then with a 30' rope tied to the horses saddle horn we tore up the road. We had two horses so we rode and rested them. Could not flip that cart and with no Brakes had to look down the private road. Best toy I ever had.

• Like 2