Well-loved wagon

Bob Riding

Well- don't look through the P15 D24 classifieds if you aren't willing to pull the trigger! I have a '51 Suburban project car, and didn't realize that i needed a parts car for it. Actually my '51 has floor and rocker tin-worm issues and this '51 (actually a '52 with a Cambridge passenger car front clip) is solid. A California car, last registered when Jimmy Carter was in the White House, is in remarkably good shape.The folks that owned it reupholstered the seat, not once, but twice. The original Bedford cord with blue piping is still intact, under the layers of 1960's chintz and vinyl. The engine turns over and the brakes have been re-done. I plan to install a modern motor (SBC or baby Hemi) AT, air and probably a MII clip. Those of you that know me are probably wondering how I could have strayed so far from stock, but actually, my '40 Plymouth woodie wagon has a number of modern upgrades (radials, disc brakes, turn signals, dual carbs, split exhaust, etc) but still retains it's somewhat vintage appearance, which is what i hope to achieve with the '52 Suburban, but with more modern running gear. Besides, my wife would only drive it if it had AT and A/C. i will keep you posted.

IMG_3944.jpg

IMG_3946.jpg

IMG_4028.jpg

IMG_4031.jpg

Nice find and a great basis for a project.  I think the car is a Savoy wagon because it has belt-line trim, windshield stainless, and a horn ring.  The other tell-tale would have been the upholstery, but that's been re-done.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Edited by JerseyHarold

1 hour ago, Young Ed said:

So are you using this one for parts or fixing this one instead of the other? Nice Falcon too

I'll use this one as the Plymouth Dr quote to replace the floor and rockers on the other was about $1,500. The other has minor fender and body damage- not had to fix, but just more labor and $. The Falcon is my brother-in-law's project-it will be a daily driver for his wife.

do inspect the floor at the rear seat cubbies and the tray that is the jack storage area beneath the rear seat...by design of the quarter windows this area see much water...little drainage and if they get plugged the water spills in into the aforementioned areas...my 51 was a Texas vehicle, lots of fine powder road dust led to discovery of lots of rot where I mentioned, do hope you fair much better than on mine..  I even have had to use the ole shrinker/stretcher to form new bases for the cubby boxes.  Good luck, these ole two door wagons really depicts the era.

10 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

do inspect the floor at the rear seat cubbies and the tray that is the jack storage area beneath the rear seat...by design of the quarter windows this area see much water...little drainage and if they get plugged the water spills in into the aforementioned areas...my 51 was a Texas vehicle, lots of fine powder road dust led to discovery of lots of rot where I mentioned, do hope you fair much better than on mine..  I even have had to use the ole shrinker/stretcher to form new bases for the cubby boxes.  Good luck, these ole two door wagons really depicts the era.

Great suggestions- I will get out my fine-toothed comb! Did you change the frame/rearend, or leave it stock? 

I assume by installing a MII front end, which will have rack and pinion, disc brakes, etc., and a different reared, I will notice a significant improvement in handling, but it seems like Plymouth did a pretty good job with the stock setup, so I'm still on the fence.

It is a call only you can make, some like upgrading to modern chassis components easily found across the parts counter..some like to soldier on and upgrade while retaining as much of the stock chassis as possible.  Retaining the stock frame and upgrading to R&P, disc and relocated shocks is by far less invasive, faster and does not alter any other segments of the build except the tying in of your steering column to the R&P.    MII is just one means to an end.  clipping a subframe is yet another and not at all a hard proposition but do consider you will have to modify any donor frame front ears to receive the original bumper back the vehicle.  What you want in the ride is what will set your parameters for upgrading. I in no manner call my upgraded cars street rods but like to refer to them as 'personalized'   It is not an endeavor many will endorse and fewer will attempt thus it is an option the owner himself needs only be comfortable with.