Vent windows

Seems most are removing vent windows....I would look around and see what you can find first....Then take a stab at changing yours. The truth is, you'll need a donor door to make the change. Adding a vent is possible, but changes with good geometry inside the door will need to happen.

48D

Yes it's possible. I did it on my drivers side door. The replacement door that I found didn't have one, so I used the parts from the old door and fit them to the new door. You will need the vent window and associated hardware, plus the vertical track for the roll up window. Then you will need to find the exact positions to weld in mounting tabs, that you will have to fabricate. It will be benificial to also have the proper roll up side window. The bottom rail and window regulator are the same, but you'll need the glass, at least for a pattern, the the divider bar. 

• 2 years later...

Well I have most of the parts I need except for glass and some seals, but I got them all cleaned up and painted and I’m just doing a trial install. How do the frames mount into the door? I see on the bottom where it would fasten but it would be pretty loose on the top. There are a few holes on the top of the frame that I could put a screw in the secure it and there are tabs on my door in those locations, just no hold drilled. Would this be the correct way to mount it?

9 hours ago, jpartington said:

Well I have most of the parts I need except for glass and some seals, but I got them all cleaned up and painted and I’m just doing a trial install. How do the frames mount into the door? I see on the bottom where it would fasten but it would be pretty loose on the top. There are a few holes on the top of the frame that I could put a screw in the secure it and there are tabs on my door in those locations, just no hold drilled. Would this be the correct way to mount it?

for the wing windows or the roll ups?

that should screw into holes in the door frame  kinda all at once when you put the assembly in, there should have been holes to use in the parts I got to you.

yes  there was holes in it  but not in my window channel on my door. Just wanted to make sure that those were indeed mounting holes before I went drilling holes in my door.

if this install all as one unit then the screws go through the seal?

Edited by jpartington

they came with my rubber seals.  Basically little brass spacers to not crush the rubber when you tighten the screw.  L shaped in profile.

I got mine from Steele if I remember right.  Not perfect but these trucks won't seal up as nice as a new vehicle.

Also follow up question. Did you install the glass in the frame yourself? If so any trick? I seen a video of someone doing it and they were smacking it with a rubber hammer pretty hard. That would make me a bit nervous. Did you use the sash channel filler from Steele to install the glass?

13 hours ago, jpartington said:

I got my seals today from Steele today and they seem to be a bit longer then the window frame and the hole don’t line up quite right. Did you have any issues with that?

for the wing window?  Things needed a bit of "massaging".  The thing is most of these seals are made off a mold off an original (no idea of condition), and will NEVER be as good as original (rubber shrinks with time, example not 100% to size/shape, etc.).  With all the issues people have in sealing the windshield I KNOW they didn't have that issue back in the day with original fresh stock.  We do what we can and deal with it.

Ok  just wanted to make sure you had the same issues  I also have a message to them to make sure I got the correct ones. But I will have to trim it a bit and make the slots for the hinge and stop hardware a bit longer to accommodate.

Might have had to do that I can't remember for sure, but I do remember getting things to line up took a bit of time.  Maybe others have had the same issue?  Seems like just you and I on this thread!