Oil Filter part number?

belvedere666

I did a few searches regarding oil filters but i couldn't find anything that was specific enough for me to go on.

This is the oil canister i have on my P20. as far as i know, it;s the one that came with the car. i had one of the sealed canisters on another P20 and i replaced it with a spin on type from vintage power wagons. The VPW canister is taller and they recommended the "sock type" filter that won't fit THIS particular canister.

When i opened this one up, i noticed that there is no filter inside for me to use a reference for a replacement. Anyone know what options i have for this one? i'd like to keep this canister and not switch out to the power wagon one i have, if i can.

oil%20filter.jpg

Atlas Obsolete in Temecula sales them.  There is a 2 for 1 listing on eBay also.  I have been eyeballing that one.  It's 2 for 49 bucks I believe....

I don't have a part number, and I am on the fence about using the spin on adapter kit myself.

Edited by classiccarjack
Forgot a sentence
  • Like 1

I have similar canister that was made by AC and I use a NAPA 1010 Gold filter that drops into the canister. Since the unit is a bypass filtering unit any good quality filter that fits the canister will work for your application.

Rich Hartung

• Like 1

looks like the napa 1010 or 1080 and all the brand crossovers mentioned in previous threads will work. i hadn't seen any pictures of anyone's canisters and wasn't sure if mine was the same, as a lot of the posts were referencing pre-50 cars. thanks for the help!

I have tried the Napa 1080 as well as an ac version, they both seemed to fit with only one problem, the gasket would not fit into the upper cover....  I have been lucky that the old gasket has been reusable with no leaks so far.  I will be changing the oil and filter in the spring and probably take another stab at it, any guidance would be appreciated.

• Like 1

Looks just like mine and I use the 1010. Its got a better center area to fit on the post. The 1080 is fibrous and by the time you remove it its no longer a tight fit. Also I believe if you clean up that center wing nut piece you'll see a model # and filter type. 

IMAG0178.jpg

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

Looks just like mine and I use the 1010. Its got a better center area to fit on the post. The 1080 is fibrous and by the time you remove it its no longer a tight fit. Also I believe if you clean up that center wing nut piece you'll see a model # and filter type. 

IMAG0178.jpg

Thanks! Yes. It looks just like yours.ill get it all cleaned up and see if I can find anything stamped on it. 

On 2/5/2017 at 9:28 AM, belvedere666 said:

Thanks! Yes. It looks just like yours.ill get it all cleaned up and see if I can find anything stamped on it. 

cleaned up the wing nut. says to use p-40 replacement. haven't had any luck yet. i picked up a NAPA 1010 and it's a really tight squeeze around the center  and the gasket isn't big enough to fit the lid.

I actually got the 1010 in there. once i gave it a good shove at the top, it slipped on the rest of the way, easily. as far as the gasket goes, in my rookie-ness i was trying to get the gasket to fit the edge of the lid. the one i have from vintage power wagons with the sock type filter fits the edge of the lid. i noticed that this one slips down in between the edge of the filter and the inside of the canister. is this correct fitment?

filter.jpg

Just now, Campton1941 said:

I use  the NAPA 1010 filter, but use the rubber gasket from NAPA 1071.  It fits perfectly but the filter is too short.

.Overhauled.jpg

that engine sure is pretty. May canister is shorter than that one. is the picture i posted above, the way the gasket is supposed to fit in there?

7 minutes ago, Campton1941 said:

I don't think so.  Look for a recess in the lid, in which the gasket would fit and cover the top of the canister.

that's what i thought originally, and the gasket didn't fit. i just tried the gasket from the larger VPW canister and it fit the way i thought.

Edited by belvedere666
added

You can make your own gasket for the lid. measure the distance from the outside edge of the lip on the top. Mease the  recess area to see how wide the gasket need to be to fit in the groove. Get a piece of gasket material at ant good auto parts store then use a compass and draw the appropriate circle size. then cut the outer ring and the the inner ring and you have a gasket.

as prior post stated that you had the incorrect filter element. remember these canisters were made over 50+ years ago so getting the correct element and also gasket might take some trial and error to get the perfect fit. The current filters are being produced to fit modern cars and not our antiques per say.

Then you can go to the auto store a find a gasket to fit the lid or make a few as spares. Simple and easy project.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Desoto1939@aol

• Like 1

11 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

You can make your own gasket for the lid. measure the distance from the outside edge of the lip on the top. Mease the  recess area to see how wide the gasket need to be to fit in the groove. Get a piece of gasket material at ant good auto parts store then use a compass and draw the appropriate circle size. then cut the outer ring and the the inner ring and you have a gasket.

as prior post stated that you had the incorrect filter element. remember these canisters were made over 50+ years ago so getting the correct element and also gasket might take some trial and error to get the perfect fit. The current filters are being produced to fit modern cars and not our antiques per say.

Then you can go to the auto store a find a gasket to fit the lid or make a few as spares. Simple and easy project.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Desoto1939@aol

i ended up using the 1010 with the other gasket. can you tell me if the filter that's in the picture above fits the way it's supposed to? there is about a 1/4 inch space all the way around the outside of the filter. is it supposed to fit snug to the edges? the car was being run without a filter and there was A LOT of sludge down at the bottom of the canister. I figure, even if there is a 1/4 inch space between the canister and the filter, it's better than no filter at all. if the current filter puts my car at some sort of risk, i'll switch it out. if it isn't, then i 'll use ths till i'm ready for my next oil change and i'll run down a wider filter.

11 hours ago, belvedere666 said:

i ended up using the 1010 with the other gasket. can you tell me if the filter that's in the picture above fits the way it's supposed to? there is about a 1/4 inch space all the way around the outside of the filter. is it supposed to fit snug to the edges? the car was being run without a filter and there was A LOT of sludge down at the bottom of the canister. I figure, even if there is a 1/4 inch space between the canister and the filter, it's better than no filter at all. if the current filter puts my car at some sort of risk, i'll switch it out. if it isn't, then i 'll use ths till i'm ready for my next oil change and i'll run down a wider filter.

The important part is snug to the center. There should be some space around it. 

• Like 2