data plate stamping?

casper50

Clamp the bodies of the stamps you're using between a couple of metal bars, be careful with alignment, and tap away.  Test the rig on something else first.  I used two pieces of 1"x1" angle iron I had lying around, and a couple of c-clamps.    

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dan Hiebert said:

Clamp the bodies of the stamps you're using between a couple of metal bars, be careful with alignment, and tap away.  Test the rig on something else first.  I used two pieces of 1"x1" angle iron I had lying around, and a couple of c-clamps.    

I agree with the clamp but you might try using a vise or an arbor press as opposed to a hammer for equal pressure.

vise-1.jpg

• Like 2

I actually have a vice for the stamps.  I've also tried the bench vice doing a press on it.   The small stamp vice has the problem of hitting them all at the same time with the same pressure.  I've been using the old Chrysler logo plate as a test.   The bench vice doesn't seem to work much better.   The plate is very thin.  Too much pressure makes a really deep impression, too little and the numbers can't be seen.  The new data plate was $20. I really don't want to screw it up.

2 hours ago, casper50 said:

I've bought a new body number plate for my coupe.  I've bought the metal stamps but can't get a decent looking line of numbers.  How do I get a decent looking number plate?

s-l1600.jpg

The first thing you need to do is get a really clear photo of a factory plate with the numbers stamped on it by the factory. You can then look around for a set of stamps with the same font to buy and stamp it yourself,or try to find an artist to engrave them by hand for you to match the original number stamp.

If you go the "buy a set of number stamps with the correct size and font as the originals" route you could probably rent them out with a deposit large enough to cover the costs,and end up making a few bucks. Especially if the body number stamps is the same size and font as the serial number stamps. One thing I don't like about old Mopars is they were held on with sheet metal screws,and many were removed for paint jobs and never found their way back on the cars back in the days when nobody gave a damn. I personally had a serial number tag removed from a car I own while it was at a professional shop to have some chassis welding done. I know it was there when I drove the car in because not too long before that I had registered the car in my name and had it inspected by the DMV,but it damn sure wasn't there when I bought the car back home. Open the door and there is a strip of original black paint the exact size of the ID plate.

Anybody know where I can buy an exact reproduction of a P-15 serial number plate?

Edited by knuckleharley

I have a set of stamps that are real close to original.  Close enough for me to put on a new plate and keep the old plate in the glovebox.  It's the actual stamping process that is very awkward.  I've also tried different layers beneath the plate while stamping trying to get the correct look, i.e. not being too deep.  Thin cardboard, wood, and metal.  Doing them one number/letter at a time is easier to get the pressure correct but lining them up side by side gets awkward.  I'm sometimes a bit anal about some things.  Pictures hanging crooked, numbers and letter unequally spaced and if the wife is asked I'm sure that she can bring out a long list to add.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, casper50 said:

.. I'm sometimes a bit anal about some things.  Pictures hanging crooked, numbers and letter unequally spaced and if the wife is asked I'm sure that she can bring out a long list to add.

Yeah,I can identify with that. I have friend that is a professional artist and engraver,and IF I can find a new serial number tag for my P-15,I plan on getting him to engrave the numbers.

Just found out this morning from another member that the $125 exact reproduction of an original P-15 Serial Number Tag only fits 1941 and older Mopars because it is 4-1/4 inches long.

Anyone know where I can buy a blank exact reproduction P-15 Serial number plate?

Edited by knuckleharley

1 hour ago, casper50 said:

I've going to phone this guy later today and see if he is still doing this.

http://www.roddingroundtable.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=34403

With no replies since 2005,it seems unlikely,but I sure hope it works out for you because I need one,too.

35 minutes ago, casper50 said:

yes

Does anyone know how they did it at the factory?

I got a guy on eBay recreate my data plates for me.  He did a great job, but took a long time to do it.  I just searched for him and cannot find him on eBay.  I hope that he didn't stop doing this type of work. My plates are acid etched and the stamping was definitely fair enough for me. If he turns up, I will alert you.

Nostalgic Reflections

(509)226-3522

Jerry Turner is his name.

He made my data plates using the information I sent him.  Like I said, it took some time, but it worked out.  I am trying to use the phone app to add pictures with no success.  I will try later with my PC if you would like to see the quality he does.

10 hours ago, classiccarjack said:

I got a guy on eBay recreate my data plates for me.  He did a great job, but took a long time to do it.  I just searched for him and cannot find him on eBay.  I hope that he didn't stop doing this type of work. My plates are acid etched and the stamping was definitely fair enough for me. If he turns up, I will alert you.

Was it this guy? I recently bought a VERY nice,VERY expensive  serial number tag from him for my P-15,and discovered it  was too long for P-15,and was for the earlier cars where the tag was mounted vertically instead of horizontally.  Very nice guy that answers emails quickly and does beautiful work. I have't contacted him yet about a return because I haven't had the time (or remembered,if you want the truth) to check inside the door of my 42 Dodge to see if the original is still in there. If I need it for the Dodge,why return it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112098622075?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

4 hours ago, classiccarjack said:

Nostalgic Reflections

(509)226-3522

Jerry Turner is his name.

He made my data plates using the information I sent him.  Like I said, it took some time, but it worked out.  I am trying to use the phone app to add pictures with no success.  I will try later with my PC if you would like to see the quality he does.

Ok,so I guess it wasn't the guy I bought my tag from.

I’m following this thread with interest as I have ordered generator, distributor and starter tags form 3 different vendors in 3 different countries due to prewar tags are different in size and appearance. I have yet to sort out how to get them stamped.

One vendor in Holland will stamp the generator tag and when it arrives, I’ll post a picture.

On other hand, anybody knows where I can purchase the firewall tag like the attached picture?

s-l1600.jpg