Drop a 41 Dodge with uprigths

Pvnyhus

to the best of my knowledge that after Tom's death things in Delbarton and Ply-Do did not get revived into a striving business adventure.  I gave up on them, calls went unanswered.  A member here who is local to them also had similar experience.  Maybe in time when the dust settles the inventory will again be available to the public.  The Fatman uprights are a good source yet.

i have now ordered moog cc850 springs to get it higher in front. So I like to drop it with uprights so I handels better then with cut springs. Is Fatman the best one's to by? Howe low is it best to order? Any links with ok prices? Pic of mine

IMG_3107.JPG

If I remember correctly, fatman requires a disc brake conversion for the uprights.  I've got a set of their uprights that I have swapped in and out to try and get the right height.  I have a 40.  The main issue I had is that the Fatman uprights push the wheels out somewhere along the lines of 1/2".  This was too much for me as the tires are tucked and already close to the fender.  It put my tire right into the fender.  The disk brakes actually kick the track wider as well.  More like 1/4", but with it being this tight, everything matters.  I went with cut Moogs on mine and the ride is firm but good. 

• Like 2

I have a 40 as well and also used Moog coil springs but I didn't cut them instead I relocated the spring pocket from the top side of the lower A-arm to the bottom side. Only required grinding off the rivets trimming the edges of the spring pocket so it sits tight and bolting it back together with grade 8 bolts. You can see the process and end result on my build thread.

Edited by 40plyrod
  • Like 1

On 1/30/2017 at 10:08 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

to the best of my knowledge that after Tom's death things in Delbarton and Ply-Do did not get revived into a striving business adventure.  I gave up on them, calls went unanswered.  A member here who is local to them also had similar experience.  Maybe in time when the dust settles the inventory will again be available to the public.  The Fatman uprights are a good source yet.

Your 100% right.  I spoke to him the day before he left to the race and died at the track.  After calling for weeks, I finally got a call back from Tom's wife.  It has been a few years past now and no Plydo.  I really miss the conversions and the great parts available to make my projects better....   I still miss him.

On 2.2.2017 at 8:57 PM, Bmartin said:

If I remember correctly, fatman requires a disc brake conversion for the uprights.  I've got a set of their uprights that I have swapped in and out to try and get the right height.  I have a 40.  The main issue I had is that the Fatman uprights push the wheels out somewhere along the lines of 1/2".  This was too much for me as the tires are tucked and already close to the fender.  It put my tire right into the fender.  The disk brakes actually kick the track wider as well.  More like 1/4", but with it being this tight, everything matters.  I went with cut Moogs on mine and the ride is firm but good. 

Do you want to sell the uprights? IF it fits my 41 dodge....

if you were to look at the aftermarket units that offering the lowering by raising the king pin pivot, you will notice they are welded units of steel and not forged like original.  Perhaps you can fabricate a set to the drop height you wish.  They are not that out of the world expensive, but given your geographical location I see your concerns of unavailability to put your hands on and inspect prior to purchase...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

I got this answer from a fatman uprigth seller: yes 3" drop , 
stock brakes wont work with the up rights they wont bolt up with out clearance issues with the backing plate.

is it possible to use drums ore not :) 

i really want to have my old brumbrakes and dropped uprights.

Not sure if it was here or the HAMB but there was a write up with pics of a guy who had two sets of stock uprights.  He cut the kingpin boss off of one set and welded it up higher.  Somehow used the other set for alignment.  Hopefully you can search better than I can.  Its up to you on whether or not you think welding to cast steel is safe.  Of course this still may not solve your interference issue because I don't remember if he swapped to disc's or not. 

EDIT:  Looks like it was olddaddy.  http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/reversing-the-uprights-on-1940-plymouth-coupe.125109/

Edited by Bmartin
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2017 at 1:09 PM, Pvnyhus said:

I got this answer from a fatman uprigth seller: yes 3" drop , 
stock brakes wont work with the up rights they wont bolt up with out clearance issues with the backing plate.

is it possible to use drums ore not :) 

i really want to have my old brumbrakes and dropped uprights.

I tried this, and wound up with almost no steering at all.  I actually took a grinder to the backing plates and cut slots in them to get some steering angle back, although not as much as stock.  I ran the car that way for years until I finally wanted front disks to be able to stop better.

I still have the cut backing plates if you would like to try them.

Marty

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I install fatman uprights on my 52 and yes fatman states you must run disc brakes but I did a little work with the bolts and nuts

and everything works great- the tie rod ends are very close to the tires- running coker wide whites on the stock rims- did some minor grinding to the tie rod end

front end aligned- I did the relocation kit for the front shocks(improved the ride quality) - also installed eaton lowering springs in the front- got about 3 1/2 to 4 inch

front drop- asked fatman why they state you must use disc brakes and their reply was the don't want to recommend altering anything with brakes.  if you notice they

don't sell any brakes stuff

I've had no problem with turning radius or some of the other things people claim when they tried using the factory brakes with fatman  dropped uprights

• Like 1

I bought them about 10 months ago- I talked to one of the guys in the shop at fatman in length and they seemed to want to avoid any issues with brakes and thats

why they don't do any instuctions about installing brakes.  talking to the brake guys they recommended they were a little ify about there conversion kits and exactly what all you'd need- I decided to go ahead and try and use the drum brakes(everything was new). I'm getting ready to do the 47 caddy with fatman dropped upright and they say the same thing use disc brakes so im going with drums if I can.  back in the 50's and 60's I saw many uprights switched from left to right and turned upside down/ some home made and fatman is just a made piece with the mounting piece raised