Flat head six manifolds

fargo52

A local store closes and I knew the owner and he allowed me to check out some old inventory, I guess he was a cockshutt and Oliver dealer and all the old combines had some Chrysler 6 engines 

IMG_7280.JPG

• Like 2

"I guess he was a cockshutt and Oliver dealer  " - what is this? Are they agricultural machinery dealers?

Are you saying harvesters had dodge motors in them - interesting.

BTW - I am enjoying looking at the snow - here in oz we are sweltering in 38 degrees celsius. It is 8.00 pm, still very light, and I am thinking about leaving the cool house to venture outside.

1 hour ago, Geekay said:

"I guess he was a cockshutt and Oliver dealer  " - what is this? Are they agricultural machinery dealers?

Are you saying harvesters had dodge motors in them - interesting.

BTW - I am enjoying looking at the snow - here in oz we are sweltering in 38 degrees celsius. It is 8.00 pm, still very light, and I am thinking about leaving the cool house to venture outside.

Lots of 251/265 engines were used in the Massey Harris combines up here, and possibly other makes, and is actually where my 251 came from.  Also had a 218 from a combine, but it was stuck so I scrapped it.

The intake under the red starter is kind of interesting, looks like a updraft carb on a downdraft intake, that or apparently you can mount the manifold either way and it fits.  I had a couple of those, but sent them for scrap, didn't think I had much use for them.  

The updraft carburetter will only work with the carb hanging down and the bolt pattern doesn't work if you flip it , but what I did notice was the other intake must be off of the bigger engines because the ports on the intake and exhaust are bigger and the manifold itself is larger in diameter never noticed that on any other engine I had so maybe that might be a performance increase , I am thinking  of cutting up the exhaust manifolds and making a set of headers with them . A lot of Oliver,Cockshutt,Case,MasseyHarris and  Versatile  Farm equipment especially combines all used A lot  of Chrysler industrial engines everything from the small flat head fours all the way up to 383 and 400 big blocks were used in farm equipment  here in Canada. 

• Like 1

The updraft carb and manifold setup looks almost exactly like the setup we had on rough terrain forklifts with a capacity of 6k to 12K that had the Chrysler Ind. motors. Exhaust exited on top of the motor at the bell housing end and then turned 90 degrees to exit the hood side and again 90 turn to exit the rear of the forklift.

We a one "newer" 10K lift with a 318 Chrysler Ind. motor that the exhaust came out the tops of the exhaust manifolds with the same type of turns as before and both pipes had the solid steel cased glass packed mufflers!

The operators always loved that machine! Sounded great after "breaking in" with the entire exhaust system that was only about 3-3 1/2 ft long per side. ;)

DJ

• Like 1

Went digging for more parts this is the drawback to going searching in Manitoba winter for all your spare parts, went digging for more parts this is the drawback to going searching in Manitoba winter for all your spare parts,lots of snow . 

IMG_7285.JPG

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
  • 3 years later...