lwebb

I’m doing a Cavalier rack conversion on my P18 using the original steering shaft. With the universal joint now needed on the end of the shaft, I’m stumped how, if even possible, I can still use the original horn ring on the steering wheel. The wire can no longer come out the end of the shaft. Options?

When I added U-joints to my steering column in the process of adding power steering, I had to cut the horn wire and figure another way to complete the circuit. 

I added a sleeve to the steering tube, wired to the horn ring, and a brush assembly on the column jacket, to make the contact with the sleeve.  

Old Jeeps had a similar system.  Someone makes a sleeve and brush kit, but I cobbled my own.  I also added a bottom bushing for the column, which is cut just below the shifting mechanism.

I've posted stuff on this before, but if you want, send me a PM and I can send you articles on my steering column adaptations. 

Edited by DonaldSmith
clarification

I sent Junkers72 articles I wrote on the horn sleeve and bushing and the steering column bushing.  It's not gospel, only how I did it.  If I had to do it all over again, I would have located the sleeve and brush better, and probably would have devised a better bushing.  But the thing works. 

(8) steering jacket opened.JPG

(9) horn contact installed.JPG

• Like 1

As far as the end of the steering shaft, it's a hollow pipe.  I found a source for a splined plug, which I had welded in place by an official welder.  I had to drill out the inside of the pipe to fit the plug.  The pipe was not totally true and concentric,so I had to exert a bit of english to the drill bit, to make the hole true to the center line of the pipe.  

tube stub work (6) full weld.JPGl

Thank you DonaldSmith. I tried to post the paper work and diagram that I found on my hornsaver kit but my home computer is down right now and it isn't working well for me with my phone.