Crankshaft Damper/Harmonic Balancer

Do the 265's require the use of a crankshaft damper/harmonic balancer?  I did a search on this forum and found posts indicating that the other flatheads (218, 230, 251) sometimes had them, sometimes not.  Also, one of the search results came up saying that there were at least 5 types of dampers for the 265.  My understanding is that dampers are typically needed on some engines to keep torsional vibrations to a minimum, because they can cause excessive wear of the bearings and other components, and in more severe cases, breakage of the crankshaft. 

For the flatheads, especially the 265, are they needed long engine life, or is it for other reasons, such as passenger comfort?  I've read some things indicating that the higher power (dual carb) engines came with them, as did the engines in the high-end (more expensive, luxury) editions of cars.  I'm looking into installing a 265 (actually a converted 251 block with 265 crank and rods) into a '49 Power Wagon, and if I do, I want to be sure I install a damper if it's needed for preventing premature wear or other failures.  If it's only for passenger comfort, then I won't worry as much about it.

Thanks,

Matt

Every one I have seen or own has one. I would definitely put one on.

It is for the longevity and smoothness of the engine. 265's are a very smooth and reliable running engine.

Thanks.  Of the ones you've seen, how many were in trucks, and do you recall if they had dual carbs, or manual transmissions?  Do you (or anyone else) know the outside diameter of the 265 damper and pulley?  Much bigger than my current 230 pulley (which has no damper) and it won't clear the frame crossmember.  Since there were at least five different types, it could be that the diameters varied.

• 4 weeks later...

I was wondering about the crank damper also. My industrial just has a hub with 2 pulleys, one wide and small narrow for the governor. Can I use it or need to find a dampener?