54 dodge rear end 8.8 explorer

Yup, they will need to change your pinion side to a flanged yoke and possibly adjust the length. Get the axle underneath and with the weight on the axle and pinion angle set before measuring. A simple magnetic angle finder will get your angle squared away pretty quick. I usually point the pinion down about 1/2 to 1 degree to compensate for pinion rise under load.

Also, since you have to move your perches, it's cheap insurance to run a bead from the tube to the center section on either side. The plug welds they use can break if you have enough hp and traction. 

Lastly, if you got the limited slip model, you can really tighten up the limited slip by replacing the S spring with one from an F150. You can go even further by rearranging the clutch packs if needed. 

In an off-road application, I have broken three 8.8's over the years. So I have a few tips for building them up a bit. ;)

Edited by 59bisquik

You could go to the wrecking yard and look for an older Ford product with an 8.8. The Ranger, Explorer and 90-97 Thunderbirds and 90's F150's all had the flange style 8.8. Possibly older F100/f150's had the standard yoke style. You would just have to go and look. 

OR.... follow this link and buy an aftermarket one for around $80. Then just figure out what u-joint you need.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Yukon-Gear/807/YYF880631/10002/-1

I'm with AustinSailor above.  Maybe I'm spoiled but I usually take both ends to Inland Truck in Kansas City with the length I need.  Keep in mind that the drive shaft measurement is about the last thing you should do.  The vehicle should be finished, or nearly so, with all the weight in the correct places to get a correct measurement.

All they will need is some basis for length and the easiest is center-to-center of the u-joints,  The last one I had them do was about $125.  That included shortening, balancing, and a new u-joint at the back.

16 hours ago, 59bisquik said:

You could go to the wrecking yard and look for an older Ford product with an 8.8. The Ranger, Explorer and 90-97 Thunderbirds and 90's F150's all had the flange style 8.8. Possibly older F100/f150's had the standard yoke style. You would just have to go and look. 

OR.... follow this link and buy an aftermarket one for around $80. Then just figure out what u-joint you need.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Yukon-Gear/807/YYF880631/10002/-1

Thats was I got a 8.8 off a 97 explorer