Anyone have a differential number book for Chvee, very OT

Ed Griffin

I am going nuts trying to find information on the differential thats on the 50 Chevy pickup I recently picked up. I've posted on classiccars basically the same thing but it just seems that this group is most informative in all vehicles so this is why I ask here. Can anyone tell me what the book/manual says these numbers were from what vehicle? Casted numbers on the 10 bolt rear end are (10 bolts facing front, backside is solid) 3725899 GM and the date code cast numbers and letter are H306. Above the numbers is a large casted O but i dont think it is anything that will help.

I'm trying to replace the wheel cylinders, bearings and shoes. I looked through Napa and a couple others online and all have brake shoes but they are 11x1 3/4 and the shoes in the hubs are 11x2 inchs. The hubs are also 5 lug instead of 6 like stock was. This is front and back hubs. I'm hoping if i can find out what the differantial came from then maybe the hubs on it as well as the front are from the same vehicle.

This is probably cheescake to many but for me it's newbie territory. I started this last Friday thinking I'd have it all said and done by now but being this isnt stock I should have known better. By the way, it does still have the ball bearings and not tappered bearings. I'm open to whatever you can throw my way that helps, Ed ( no not getting rid of it )

You could check with Hollander interchange manuals. I don't have their later books but they do cover at least through 1989. My book shows a client services (interchange questions) phone number 1-800-825-0092. Sales is 1-800 761-9266. Hollanders is the type of book a wrecking yard would use to cross reference interchangeable parts. Very useful for this kind of problem.

You could check with Hollander interchange manuals. I don't have their later books but they do cover at least through 1989. My book shows a client services (interchange questions) phone number 1-800-825-0092. Sales is 1-800 761-9266. Hollanders is the type of book a wrecking yard would use to cross reference interchangeable parts. Very useful for this kind of problem.

I appreciate the numbers Norm C. I had asked if they had some kind of interchange books at the places I've gone to and no one did. Parts books at best like Napa. I've got several manuals but not of the 50's and most of the 60's. Only before and after and thats a select few.

There is a Hollanders I've wanted to pick up for awhile now but just hadnt dished out for it. Another would really make me dig deap but they are worth it. I'd like to dig a little deeper on the casting numbers before I have to buy a Hollanders. Their not cheap and I've been eyeballing one for our cars a long time now. I think if I take my parts down to a couple of the places they might be able to hook me up by comparing parts. If this didnt work I could still try a couple of wrecking yards and check my casting numbers. Good idea Norm C. ;)

Ed' date='

I can't give you an answer to your question. However, if I ran across something like this, I would go back to the previous owner and ask him what model vehicle the hubs and rearend were from. If he didn't make the swap I'd see if he could still give me information on the person he bought the truck from. Upgrades are great as long as the person who upgraded something still owns the vehicle. However, if anyone makes an upgrade to a vehicle, they should also include that information with the vehicle when sold so the new owner (like you) knows what he has when he needs parts.[/quote']

I coudlnt agree more Norm. Matter of fact I did exactly as you said but it didnt work out so easy. I asked before, during and after I left with the truck anything I could to see what was what but this fellow bought it recently enough to not know. It wasnt his project even when he owned it. I got the first sellers email and asked him if his father knew what had been done to it since it was originally his , etc. and I got back a one sentence email from his son that basically said he didnt know nothing lol. I did find his dad's old insurance cards in the seat pockets but they were old and he had moved. The fellow I bought the truck from probably could have told me some trouble spots but I dont think he had repaired anything or had it long enough to learn what the truck had been replaced with. I stayed the night with these people and they were good folks with a personal bitter story on why they were getting rid of the truck so soon. I'd still like to try to contact the 1st sellers dad. He was in CA last.

The front hubs and brakes could be from a 53/54 chevrolet car, one of Tex Smith's books shows how to install the backing plates to the spindles with longer spacers. The bolt spacing would be standard chevrolet, 5 on 4 3/4" with ball bearings. If the rear spacing is the same then from some chevrolet or GM car. The later trucks use 5 on 5" spacing.