Speedo Needle Removal

rb1949

Think I've got enough pieces now to swap parts and get a speedometer that works. Odometer is OK. There sure are small, delicate, intricate parts in that device. In order to do this, the challenge is to remove the speedometer needle. Without damage. I think it just lightly presses onto a tiny shaft. It has also been on there a while. Anybody done this on an old car? Somehow get under there and pry it up, don't scratch the surface of the gauge. Non specific instructions say "be careful" and patient. One suggestion was use a fork. The needle is very thin aluminum. Not something you do often, if at all. The picture shows what looks like a brass bushing on the needle going onto the shaft. Helpful comments, suggestions, advice welcome. Will report on progress, or a pile of parts. Thanks.

SPEEDO NEEDLE SHAFT.jpg

I’ve removed/replaced needles and face-plates on many gauges to retain the original appearance of the dashboard on many, many vehicles, including the ’46 Plymouth we now have. In all cases, it went fine. However, I have surgical instruments that I use for this task, and not everyone has access to those particular “tools”. In any case, use very small needle nose pliers, etc., since work-space is obviously limited. And, it goes without saying, be very careful so you don’t damage the face-plate. Lastly, be patient, you don’t need to be in an unnecessary hurry, and you’ll probably have a result you’ll be very pleased with, and proud of. Good luck, Thx.

In a former life I did gage calibration and tool repair.  I used a tool similar to this to pull the hands off of dial calipers and gages.

HandPuller.jpg

• Like 2

I tried this once on my 1952 Dodge B3b speedo with two small flathead screw drivers for prying. This was recommended to me by someone who restores gauges. My technique must of been off because i ended up breaking the needle! So personally i wouldn't recommend the screw driver technique.

I tried to take apart a speedometer several years ago. I wanted to touch up the color filters that cause the gauge to change color at different speeds at night.  Unfortunately when I tried to pry off the needle I broke the needle shaft.  I don't recommend trying to take it apart unless you have no other choice.

the tool furylee shows is what a watchmaker uses for watch hands. any watchmaker in your area should have one and may help you. the hand can simply be gently pressed back on. my grandfather was a watchmaker. I think I may have that tool somewhere. I have his bench with many odd tools, and that one was in there somewhere.    capt den

That’s what was nice about this tool.  It would lift the needle while the center pin would push on the speedometer needle shaft.

NeedlePuller.jpg